Everybody does it. And so do we.
Year-end lists are second only to “Desert Island Discs” in the rockcrit book of cliches. And yet we feel the need to share ours. And when we see stuff we like on other people’s lists, we’re like, “Yeah, I like that too.” And maybe if something turns up on a few lists from people we respect, we might even pick an album up on their recommendation (I’ve done that – haven’t you?).
So here is the stuff that we moved us in 2002. Our rules for inclusion aren’t as strict as some; actually, we don’t have any rules for inclusion. So if you see something that wasn’t actually released in 2002, it’s okay…don’t be such a tight-ass.
(By the way, the links are to amazon.com, but please support your local independent record store if you can.)
- Discovering the Mountain Goats – All Hail West Texas and Talahassee are my two favorite albums of the year. (Article, 2)
- The remastered reissues of the Rolling Stones’ Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed.
- The Mooney Suzuki live at Chicago’s Metro, 10/9/2002, with Sahara Hotnights. (Article, 2)
- Beck – Sea Change (Article)
- Finally got around to listening to White Blood Cells and seeing them live.
- Ben Kweller – Sha Sha (Review)
Albums I never got around to listening to, but probably will somtime in 2003: Blacklisted by Neko Case, Stereo/Mono by Paul Westerberg, Murray Street by Sonic Youth, Electric Sweat by Mooney Suzuki, Lapalco by Brendan Benson, Title TK by the Breeders, Blood Money by Tom Waits, Jennie Bomb by Sahara Hotnights, Sharpen Your Teeth by Ugly Casanova.
- White Stripes – Sympathy for the Record Industry
- Wilco – Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (Article, 2)
- Silver Jews – Bright Flight
- Ugly Casanova – Sharpen Your Teeth (Article)
- Aimee Mann – I’m With Stupid ($7 Tower Record special!)
- Flaming Lips – Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (Article)
- Mum – Green Grass of Tunnel (Article)
- Sigur Ros – ()
- Flaming Lips & Beck live at Chicago Theatre (Article)
- The Streets – Original Pirate Material (Review)
- Sleater-Kinney – One Beat
- The Mooney Suzuki – Electric Sweat (Article, 2)
- Mirah – Advisory Committee
- Spoon – Kill The Moonlight (Article)
- Single of the year: TIE – DJ Sammy, “Heaven“/Eminem, “Lose Yourself“
Honorable Mentions: Deadsy, Sahara Hotnights, Super Furry Animals
- Dr Karl Kruszelnicki’s 2002 Ig Nobel Prize for an international survey of Belly Button Lint.
- The new bottle for Sammy Hagar’s Cabo Wabo tequila.
- Britney’s thesbian turn in Crossroads.
- The Entertainment Tonight coverage of J. Lo (“Don’t be fooled by the rocks that I’ve got, I’m still Jenny from the block”) and Ben Affleck (People magazine’s “Sexiest Man Alive”).
- Ugly Cassanova: my pick for album of the year. (Article)
- Flaming Lips with Beck: Wayne Coyne may just save music after all. (Article)
- Wrote a nice song that runs through my head from time to time.
- Watched with mouth agape as the Brian Jonestown Massacre renewed my belief in live music. (Article)
- Finally took possession of my dad’s 1953 Martin tenor guitar. All dreams now officially achieved. Time to die.