Those rumors of the Beatles getting their music in Rock Band? False. But not entirely off the mark, according to a report from Billboard:
MTV Networks and Harmonix — the game developer behind the popular “Rock Band” franchise — together with the Beatles’ Apple Corps Ltd., are developing an entirely new interactive music game based solely and exclusively on the entire Beatles catalog.
The game, which does not yet have a title or release date, will not be part of the “Rock Band” franchise, but will be based on the same platform.
Not entirely sure what that means. But I’m guessing Harmonix and Apple aren’t entirely sure either. Here’s what they’re saying:
• The music will come from master recordings of the Beatles’ U.K. releases, but will not be remixed or remastered.
• It will include “new types of interactive gameplay” associated with the Beatles’ imagery in addition to its music.
• Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono, and Olivia Harrison are “involved in the vision and creative direction.”
• Giles Martin will serve as music producer.
• Don’t expect it before Thanksgiving, 2009.