I first saw Grace Potter & The Nocturnals at Rothbury last year. Before that, I only knew them from this cover of Neil Young‘s “Cortez the Killer”, which Grace did with, among others, Steve Kimock and Joe Satriani (who I loved in this). The video was from the Jammy’s, where they apparently get people from different bands to get together and, well, jam. On different songs.
So I hadn’t seen her with the Nocturnals before Rothbury, where I was right up front. It was in the afternoon, on a hot summer day, and it was non-stop rocking the entire set. Grace is an awesome presence on stage, either behind her organ or out in front with the band. I had a great time watching them play. Until the suntan lotion started dripping into my eyes. And temporarily blinded me. So I had to stumble off into a shady place and flush my eyes out until the pain stopped. But that’s another story…
This band is a touring machine, and finely honed because of it. Follow the jump for a sampling of covers they’ve played while touring across the country this past year, hitting seemingly every nook and cranny of the continental U.S. along the way.
1. Grace Potter & The Nocturnals – “I Shall Be Released”. Solo encore performance. Just Grace on her organ. Her vocal here is moving and emotional. She does Dylan’s lyrics the justice they deserve. A great interpretation. Go, Grace! Full Show: June 8, 2009 – The Windjammer, Isle of Palms, SC
2. Grace Potter & The Nocturnals – “White Rabbit”. Encore at the Fox Theatre in Boulder, CO, on July 1, 2009. They played this as their encore four days later at Rothbury as well. Loved it. Except for, you know, the crazy burning sensation in my eyes and my temporary blindness. Full show: July 1, 2009 – Fox Theatre in Boulder, CO
3. Grace Potter & The Nocturnals – “Feel Like Making Love” at Higher Ground in Burlington, VT on December 28, 2009. The finale in a three song encore. Bad Company never sounded better. Full show: December 28, 2009 – Higher Ground, Burlington, VT
4. Grace Potter & The Nocturnals – “(Sittin’ On) The Dock Of The Bay” also at the Higher Ground, but on New Year’s Eve. Part of a four day run there – the 26th through the 28th, plus New Year’s. “That was some really good tooting.” Full show: December 31, 2009 – Higher Ground, Burlington, VT
5. Grace Potter & The Nocturnals – “Try (Just A Little Bit Harder)”. A Janis Joplin song, this version from Island Exodus in Negril Jamaica, January 17, 2010. I need to get to one of these music festivals in Jamaica! Full show: January 17, 2010 – Island Exodus, Negril, Jamaica