Coronavirus: How ya doing?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Re: Coronavirus: How ya doing?

Post by Jake » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:20 pm

So we're almost three weeks into this. What a long-ass three weeks. Sheesh.

Observations: I'm not really getting anything productive done. I've worked from home for almost ten years, so that aspect is nothing new for me, but having my 13yo home is new, and my wife has been working from home about 50% of the time. So it's odd for me to have people home during the day. But it's been kinda nice eating lunch together. That's a positive.

And my kid has been pretty good. He's basically had no schoolwork assigned, so I made a schedule for him to limit his videogames and provide some structure. He's still playing a lot of videogames but he's also walking the dog, taking a shower, reading chapter books, calling grandma, watching "science" tv, etc. He talks to his friends via facetime and videogames and his teachers email fun optional distractions every once in a while.

Been probably doing too much grocery shopping but have gotten better about that too. We could eat out of our basement freezer for the next six months, I swear, but we also need tomatoes and milk and tortillas, apparently. Plus we're shopping for my in-laws who refuse to use Amazon or Shipt or anything, so my wife had to run out and get Barbasol and chip dip.

I am really missing my favorite restaurants. Ordered takeout Thai food once so far, but I don't know. Seems like if you really wanna avoid the rona, can you really trust the people touching the food you're gonna put directly into your face? I saw a meme that said they realized their three main hobbies were 1) restaurants, 2) bars, 3) shopping for inessential things. That hits the nail on the head for me. Plus, 4) driving my kid around to all his many things.

Bummed no lacrosse this year. My kid has worked hard all year during the off season. Plus it's fun to go to all the tournaments.

And Spring Break start today. My wife and I both took the time off and we're keeping it. Instead of driving to Colorado though we'll be staying home. So it goes.

Been a little easier to keep a good attitude lately. Helps to avoid the news as much as is reasonable. PMA all the way!

Take care, and be sure to send updates.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:22 pm

With five of us in the house there’s been some friction, and it didn’t help that the dishwasher went out. I don’t think we want to have a service person in right now, so we’re washing dishes by hand, which to be fair we did for like the first 10 years of our marriage. That aside, the teenagers are going through snacks and crap food like locust, putting a little pressure on us to go shopping. I think at this point we can go about 10-14 days without leaving the house to shop, but probably not three straight weeks.

I thought I would get caught up on a lot of TV shows and movies, but other than finally finishing Russian Doll, I find myself anxious all the time and wasting time on social media instead. Or like right now I’m watching John Wick Three, a movie I’ve seen half a dozen times, which I’d rather do then be forced to engage and pay attention to something completely new.

I’ve managed to get some reading done, so that’s good.

Adam Schlesinger‘s death hit pretty hard, by and large I’ve been trying to avoid the who-died-lately news reports, but that’s just tough. I also think a lot about the people going through a lot more stress than I am right now.

I don’t wanna make it sound all bad. My wife and I have been playing a lot of boardgames, either on the table or through pass and play apps. i’m getting more sleep than I ever did before, and when it’s not raining getting things done in the yard.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:15 pm

Well now, in addition to the dishwasher being out, the clothes washer has also gone out. Also, I had an infected finger swell up and had to go to urgent care, where I was literally the only person in the waiting room.

The teenagers and I have cobbled together the remains of our Wii, untouched for so long, and are playing those games we played all the time eight or ten years ago. I am still the best tennis player, but they are crushing me at Mario Kart.

Anybody else have anything to report? everyone doing OK?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:50 pm

I'm probably being melodramatic -- god I hope so -- but it's getting harder for me to imagine things ever going back to normal. Like, when we emerge from this will there be any record stores, rock clubs, or good restaurants left? Not to mention things like democracy, elections, etc. My wife likes to remind me that the Spanish flu epidemic lasted two years and then came the Roaring 20s. Which seems promising...until you remember the 1920s ended up with the Great Depression.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:26 am

Jake, you mentioned that "it's getting harder for me to imagine things ever going back to normal." I hear ya, but maybe here's a different way to look at things. You're probably at least somewhat familiar with the Kubler-Ross 5 stages of grief, right? What we may have to do is to properly grieve for the loss of the world AS WE KNEW IT. Just as the world cataclysmically changed after 9/11, so too will we find that a post-coronavirus world doesn't completely match the world we knew just this February. Where am I going with this? This pandemic will pass, and life as we knew it has no choice but to change. But in 12-step recovery programs, people are encouraged to eventually recognize and embrace what their "new normal" will be. Same thing here, maybe? It's still too soon to tell; we're very much in the violently transitional phase of the world's transformation from that to this. But just like we found a way to continue to love and interact with music in a climate where Warners / CBS / MCA / Polygram / EMI / BMG were no longer the biggest game in town, so too will we as a world find a way to eventually get beyond this. But until then?

Yeah, it's gonna suck. For a while.

Here's what I just bought during these pandemic times:
  • Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughn -- In Session CD & DVD
    Aimee Mann -- both The Forgotten Arm and Mental Illness
    Living Colour -- Live From CBGB's, 1989
    Books: Paul's Boutique and For Whom The Cowbell Tolls: 25 Years of Paul's Boutique, both written by Dan LeRoy
    Blu-Ray: I'm Gonna Git You Sucka (God, I love that movie!)
I can't wait to see the Beastie Boys Movie, dropping on Apple TV+ at the end of April. Oh! does anyone here have a copy of Stetsasonic's 2nd and 3rd CDs? or the Souls Of Mischief's Montezuma's Revenge?

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:07 pm

I agree with DJ in that things will get back to a new normal. it might be awhile though. The bigger issue is weathering the here and now. It's not easy times. I've had a bad bought of my depression reemerge full on this past Sunday. Then dealt with that and am trying to get through the days. Had to go out to pick up medicine and trying to work from home. Not as easy or fun as it looks. Been going through and feeling a lot of my "maleness" more than ever if you catch my drift. Being along i guess helps. Also have gone through new DAPs for various reasons (having extra money when you suffering depression isn't always good). I am selling the not so good one though (if I don't return it). Also picked picked up some new music:

Sonic Youth - Dirty deluxe editon (sealed cd with sticker)
Counting Crows - Recovering the Satalites (sealed cd with sticker and label)
Liz phair - Whitechocolatespaceegg (which i now have twice LOL)
Soundgarden - Superunknown 20th anniversary cd
Blues Traveler - Live from the fall sealed cd
Marry Me Jane - Tick (sealed cd with sticker and label)
Fantasia soundtrack (75th anniversary Legacy Collection cd)
The Lion King (Legacy Collection cd)
Sam Hunt - Southside cd

Will pick up the last Aimee Mann cd. Thanks for the suggest DJ. I may also pick up the new Pearl Jam.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:52 am

G5am, that Liz Phair WCSE is an awesome disc. Those first 3 Liz albums are unimpeachable, and Jake’s resequencing of the self-titled Liz album makes it pretty damn great, too!! I’m still not a fan of “H.W.C.”, but between the good songs on that disc and the 5 tracks on the Comeandgetit EP, there’s a great album #ForeverGratefulToJakeBrownForThatResequence #RescuedVictoryFromACapitolDefeat

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:26 am

DJMurphy wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:52 am
G5am, that Liz Phair WCSE is an awesome disc. Those first 3 Liz albums are unimpeachable, and Jake’s resequencing of the self-titled Liz album makes it pretty damn great, too!! I’m still not a fan of “H.W.C.”, but between the good songs on that disc and the 5 tracks on the Comeandgetit EP, there’s a great album #ForeverGratefulToJakeBrownForThatResequence #RescuedVictoryFromACapitolDefeat
Ha! Did I post that somewhere? I can't find it.

Hope everybody's hanging in there. It can be hard.

Have you guys checked out the new Fiona Apple? It's pretty intense.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:56 pm

Jake wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:26 am

Have you guys checked out the new Fiona Apple? It's pretty intense.
I wasn't quite prepared for “Fetch the Bolt Cutters” as you’re right, it’s really intense, but thank god it has a good hooks as well.

The new retro lofi Mountain Goats album is also good.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:37 pm

Loving the new Mountain Goats. Especially this song:

If you're unfamiliar with the story of Olympius vs. Theophilus and the battle over the Serapeum of Alexandria in 391, it's worth reading the wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serapeum_of_Alexandria