hoot night

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

trix
GLONO Board Playa

hoot night

Postby trix » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:45 am

does anyone know anything about this night?

i know its run by thomas dunning, and its on in shubas this week.

we're playing a few gigs in chicago, we're flying over from ireland to do them, and well, the hootnight on wednesday is one of them. we're just wondering if anyone goes to them or whatever...

thanx...

trix
GLONO Board Playa

Postby trix » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:21 pm

aw.. i was hoping there were some chicago guys who could help.. ah well..

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:00 pm

Sorry, Trix. Didn't see this post until just now. Don't know anything about the Hoot Night. Keep us posted and I'll see if I can drag Old Man Brown out for the night.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:26 pm

I may not know anything about Hoot Night per se, but Schuba's is a classy joint that draws a good crowd. I've seen Alex Chilton, the Webstirs, Frisbie, and Verbow there. I'll have to check out Hoot Night...

trix
GLONO Board Playa

Postby trix » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:56 am

yeah schubas looks cool from the outside! we're playing there wed and sun, wed in the hoot night.

the hoot night is a show where a load of bands play to a theme.

it should be fun...

ANYWAY....
chicago is pretty cool, i'm staying up by logan park. which is nice. touristy stuff tomorrow!

later!

WalterCracker
GLONO Board Playa

Postby WalterCracker » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:07 am

So did anyone catch this show?

Hoot Night

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:50 pm

Hoot Night started in Chicago yeeeears ago by people associated with Poi Dog Pondering-Susan Voelz and others. I have no memory of the pre-Dunning incarnation, thought. From about 1997 or 1998 onward it was booked and hosted by Tom Dunning and presented at Schubas every month or every other month. Tom Dunning is the "president" of Brown Star Records, which produced one album of note--I Wanna Be Kate, a Kate Bush tribute featuring many of the Hoot Night regulars (for which he received a personalized thankyou card from Kate Bush). He also managed some bands including the J Davis Trio and the Baltimores.

Hoot Night happened every other month or so. Each night had a theme-- songs about food, 1969 v. 1989, Canada v. UK, Prince v. Sting (I made that one up) something like that. And each artist was expected to put together 2 songs, usually covers, on the theme. Regular artists included Frisbie, Justin Roberts, Nora O'Connor , Dag Juhlin (of Poi Dog), and many Bloodshot-types, and friends of Tom's with no other affiliation. I performed at Hoot Night several times, actually. It was my only regular gig!

Last year Tom moved to Dublin, Ireland to work in social services and manage a band called Settler. He hosts Hoot Night in Dublin now. The Chicago version is retired except for when Tom comes to visit. The recent show was under those circumstances. The theme was 1969 v. 1989. I came to see my friends in Zapruder Point kick out a couple and then I left, so I can't review. I've always had a blast at the Hoot though the quality of acts is, in my opinion, a little up-n-down. There's definitely something for everyone (unless you're a fan of jazz improv or hat country) but that means there's alot that absolutely drives me up the wall. But the themes always bring forth some very clever ruminations, and some songs are actually revelations.

You can go to www.hootnight.com to get a comprehensive history of the Hoot since Dunning became the host. Probably there's a mailing list for future hoots, as well.

Stacey Earley
Chicago

Return to “Rants and Raves”