Welcome to the Kingdom of Fear - Non-Music

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Welcome to the Kingdom of Fear - Non-Music

Postby D. Phillips » Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:18 pm

This isn't music related, but this is my forum so...

WHat kind of fucking country do we live in when this goes down and is considered "routine?"
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/South/11/07/ ... index.html

Cops raid a highschool with guns drawn and come up with nothing. A highschool of unarmed students! NO wonder kids younger and younger are acting like criminals; they;re treated like criminals. This is outrageous and even more so that parents are freaking out and calling for heads on a spike. Welcome to the Kingdom of Fear, kids. Hunter S. Thompson has been predicting it for a long time.

You have NO 4th Amendment Rights. They have won. It's over.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:54 pm

"I don't think it was an overreaction," he said of the raid. "I believe it was one tactical method by which we could safely approach the problem to ensure that everybody was safe."

I didn't realize being held at gunpoint made you 'safe'. Shows you what I know.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:31 pm

That attitude is exactly what I find the most troubling. We've been living in this culture of fear. One so frightening that having our teenage kids held at gun point in their highschool is now considered a common and reasonable procedure. That is sick and indicative of the mindset we now have as a nation.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:42 pm

The fact that some people are seemingly willing to give up their freedoms in some misguided effort to feel safer is scarier than Dubya asking us to give up those hard-fought freedoms in the first place!! Whether it's unjust imprisonment and denial of one's right to a lawyer courtesy of the Patriot Act or this latest fiasco of police action in S. Carolina, the end effect is just as chilling. Our Revolutionary War-era forefathers have to be somewhere looking on in horror.

The one time that the Chicago Police had their guns unjustly drawn on me (I was just a bad case of wrong place wrong time), I promise you I didn't feel "safer" knowing that we had trigger-happy hard-asses patrolling our streets. The cop in question even stole my Swiss army knife, claiming I could hurt him with it. Fat chance; my hands were against the wall at that very moment and my feet were spread. Knifing an armed cop was the LAST thing on my mind, as if I was the type anyway to go around knifing people.

"Fight fear with more fear "-- what a brilliant fucking strategy. God help us all.

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:40 pm

Guns just scare the shit out of me in general. Seriously though, with a flick of a finger anyone in the general area of your good person could shoot a bullet and kill you. That sort of power isn't necessary in the vast majority of situations, and invading a school at gunpoint is similarily ridiculous. Another scary fact is that where I'm at, a situation where having guns could be reasonable was resolved by the drug dealer getting away after 4 cops at close range fired 37 bullets....and all of them missed. I really don't know if I want people like that protecting me, and still carrying guns, but what choice do I have?

I haven't brushed up on the good ol' American constitution in like forever, but I'm glad I live in Canada. It's an event at my school when they bring in the drug sniffing dog, which was only once...I have no clue how anyone would react if cops showed up with guns. I don't want to imagine it either.

For more on the culture of fear, and a bit about the guns too, you should see Michael Moore's Bowling For Columbine if you haven't already. I just kind of like it because it takes a step back and really examines some of this stuff, school shootings and the like.

trix
GLONO Board Playa

Postby trix » Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:21 pm

i'm so glad i live in a country where most of the guns or on tv...

this is scary stuff.

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:35 am

i dont think the kids were in that mush danger from the fascist cops in s. carolina, because those cops , like barney fife, were probably only allowed 1 bullet in their front pocket

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:56 pm

This country isn't becoming a police state.

It is a police state.

We're all just one supreme court justice away from living Orwell's nightmare.

jon

Postby jon » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:31 pm

thank goodness for rebels like ryan adams.

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Rummy, Dubya & The Infectious Lie Mechanism

Postby O! » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:50 am

Check this out:

http://www.aclu.org/Privacy/Privacylist.cfm?c=130

The Bush administration and their Right Wing (Fox) cohorts run the show against our liberty. These Evengelical End-Is-Nigh warmongers will bring World War III upon us if we do not vote them out of office. They lie, repeat the lies and dig deeper into the festering wound of Iraq and the "Global War Against Terror." In a word, they are despicable.

Perhaps we are already in the beginning chapters of The Third Global War. I hope the $87 Billion helps.

Return to “Rants and Raves”