put on duran duran, duran duran, u2

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:43 am

Proptronics wrote:ps - tapes suck.

I totally agree. I mean, the cassette is historic in its own way; it made the music portable, and introduced the paradigm of the mix tape AND home taping (for fair use intentions, of course. Please Mr. RIAAsshole don't sue me!!). However, it is also the most perishable format since wax cylinders, so it gets low marks for that. Thank God superior technology exists.

To me, though, the worst format was definitely 8-tracks. All retro kitsch sentimental value aside (which I realize plays huge into it), splitting up a properly sequenced album into 4 tracks by either a) fading a track down and then up to cross over the program change, or b) completely re-arranging the tracks entirely was a sin. Some albums made it through relatively unscathed; the 8-track of Pink Floyd's The Wall actually maintained its running order intact, with each LP side actually fitting on each of the four tracks. Other albums weren't so lucky...

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:57 pm

Count me in, as much as my small-in-comparison CD collection will allow me to be.

Stacey K
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Stacey K » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:25 pm

I'm in, baby. Sounds like a much better present than fuzzy socks. Yuletide cheer!

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:22 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:Prop, sully not the archaic charm and hissy splendor that is cassette tape. I was flirting with the idea of making a mix tape on my boombox so that I could appear all lo-fi and shit... then it struck me what a truly horrible idea that is.

I like the fact that the cassette tape is as fragile and impermanent as we all are. That makes it even more beautiful IMHO. The "hissy splendor" is just part of the sonic landscape. Kinda YHF, no?

Hey, maybe I'll make a "Not Forever, Just for Now" mix.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:10 am

hokay.
i know i said the deadline was friday, but i had no idea that so many people were gonna be interested. wee-hoo. this makes me happy. this is not to say that the deadline is now-full-stop-too-bad-for-you; more so that the people who have already expressed interest should get on the horse and either private message me if you haven't already--a couple of you have--or, if you wanna cut out the middleman, email me:
girlnobody@hotmail.com
the body of your email/private message should contain the following:
*your real name or the flyest pseudonym you can rock
*the mailing address which you want your package to be sent to
*your email address (der) so i can get you connected with the next guy
*and answer either yea or nay to tapes.
expect the identity of your recipient to be revealed no later than monday; y'all gotta give me the weekend to figure this shit out. and creativity in packages from random people has always been encouraged in my experience--send stickers! candy! rubber chickens! a postcard or free newspaper from your town! go nuts!
and the rest of it is out of my hands. except for the getting the addresses to dphillips so we can all not get sexually transmitted diseases. you work at your own pace but if you end up sending your mix in like march you are a very bad person. and since this was my idea i say the first person to recieve their mix starts a new thread to go "woohoo i got it."
all other information/additional things i think of will be reported on a strictly need-to-know basis.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:42 am

I know that this is sort of a wacky idea, but what if those of us who chose drew two names, made the same mixDisc for both, and in so doing got two mixDiscs back? And of course, if you want 3, you get 3, etc.

any takers? I personally wouldn't mind burning off a dupe of whatever mixDisc I do if it means twice the tunes...

Batchy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Batchy » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:59 am

I'll buy that for a dollar! Chalk me down. However, i'm afraid the archaic and much bemoaned cassette is my only offering although, after Christmas, that may all change.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:07 pm

Okay, perhaps I'm a tad confused here. I just assumed I'd be making multiple copies of my mix for whomever wanted them. Is that how we're doing it, or are we only trading with one person drawn at random?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:09 pm

No, it's like Secret Santa. You send one, you get one. Let's keep it simple.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:03 pm

Yes Jake, in the name of Jesus, keep it simple fer Chissake!

Return to “Rants and Raves”