Songs About Heroin

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Ron Johnson

Songs About Heroin

Post by Ron Johnson »

Hey All,

A good pal of mine just got a fairly heavy public health job in which he'll be spending his time interviewing heroin users in some of NYCs gnarliest neighborhoods. Being the pathetic geek that I am, my first thought was to inspire him by making a compilation of songs about heroin.

Obviously, any number of Velvets, Neil Young, Spacemen 3/Spiritualized, Johnny Thunders, Iggy, and X tunes are already accounted for.

Any other ideas?

Many thanks.
steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o »

There was an old song by Marianne Faithful that was about heroin, but I can't remember what it is called. Also, the original version of "Hurt" was supposed to be about heroin.
DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy »

Urge Overkill, "The Mistake" from Exit The Dragon
and, of course...
Abba - Dancing Queen (hey, there are deeper layers of metaphor buried in those lyrics, set to a vehemently ironic cheerful tune!!!)
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

Elliott Smith's "Needle in the Hay" is pretty great. He's got a lot of songs about dope but most of them are pretty subtle or at least metaphorical.

The MOJO drug issue had a ton of great songs, especially a couple funk songs that were supposed to be anti-heroin, but listening to them really made me want to get high, ha ha. Seek out The Dramatics' "The Devil is Dope" and The Mighty Hannibal's "The Truth Shall Make You Free."

Post by Guest »

Low by Cracker
Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

'Chinese Rock' by The Ramones! Bingo!
Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 »

"Pool Shark" by Sublime

Post by Guest »

janes addiction - jane says...?
jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 »

The Stones "Sister Morphine" (okay, not exactly a heroin song, but definitely about opiates) and Cheap Trick's "Oh Candy." And how about "Needle and the Spoon" by Skynyrd and about half the songs off of Neil Young's "Tonight's the Night" or his "Needle and the Damage Done?" There's also Curtis Mayfield's "Freddie's Dead" which was ably covered by Fishbone.
Stacey K
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Stacey K »

"Cold Turkey" by John Lennon... and maybe "Mary Had a Little Lamb" by Paul McCartney.