Anonymous Users - Yea or Nay

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

Do you folks think I should prevent anonymous users from posting to the message board? The reason I bring this up is because of the recent flood of anonymous, all-caps annoying spam-type shit.

What are your opinions?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jake on 2002-06-03 21:13 ]</font>
Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Post by Proptronics »

Nay - if they have something pertinent to post, they'll go to the trouble to register a user name. There's still registered spammers on here but at least it keeps out the random crackheads like the guy that posted the undecipherable all-caps rant about Jack White.
ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by ryanking »

I think that maniac's all caps rant was decipherable, it just wasn't what you wanted to hear, Prop.

I like the occasional anonymous post. I think it's important for new people to have a way into the discussion, to test the waters, so to speak, before they go to the trouble of registering. Ending anonymous posts will prevent some new people from entering the discussion, and this will give you a lower quality discussion.

But probably 80% of the anonymous posts I don't like. They're just some goomba who wants to talk without listening. Is there any way for you to delete specific posts without knocking all the anonymous posts?
Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

I say nay, too. Too much spam and crackpots.
Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sugarcubes Forever »

Jake, if you don't allow anon. posters, how will I post my Kazaa advertisements......?

Oops...
Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Post by Proptronics »

Do you have some personal vendetta against me? I can't get one post in without you sitting at your pc waiting to respond back with a snide remark. It's seriously getting irritating.
ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by ryanking »

I think I made a mistake about that maniac's all caps rant. I thought you were talking about the first all-caps rant about selling out, Prop. I just noticed this second all-caps rant, which is some serious John David Chapman shit, which I think is a threat to the road manager, and should be reported to the White Stripes people. I definitely did not mean to defend that rant below.

I think your note is to me, and I just want to say, I'm here to kill time, just like you. We're both on here a lot. We don't always agree, and if you wanna set some ground rules that's fine with me. I appreciate what you bring to the table about music. I don't really enjoy the inside banter, makes this place look like a hideout with guns poking out of it. But I like to spend time here and talk music, and I want it to be fun so let's set some rules or something.

And I'm seeing you guys' point regarding the anonymous posts.
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

Ground rules:

1. Treat each other with respect.

2. No name calling of each other (name calling of bad musicians is encouraged).

3. No whining. (Or winning, as our anonymous all caps crackhead would say.)

4. No registering several user names with the intent or having discussions with yourself about lame, proprietary, closed-source p2p spyware.
helen
GLONO Board Playa

Post by helen »

I like the new rules Jake! I vote for no more anonymous -- it's easy enough to make up an "anonymous" name if you don't want people to know who you are but have something meaningful to contribute...I started out that way myself...And, I like the inside banter! That's what makes this site fun and not too serious all the time, while we're able to have serious and worthwhile conversations about music for the most part...
vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by vitas »

now, this will go against my principles, partly, but i'm for having anonymous post, with some glono censorship by jake. let the people who want to partake in the conversation post anonymously, but when some folks start pawning their goods, continuously spamming meaningful conversations, ditch the posts.