Rolling Stones, Nirvana irrelevant?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

so are they irrelevant?

Post by miss carol » Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:35 pm

So are the Stones and Nirvana irrelevant? Yes and no. No because each was a significant band in their day. They are cultural touchstones that people use as markers of events and influences. Yes, because neither are significant as bands in this day. Nirvana for obvious reasons. The Stones do not change minds, influence newcomers with their current output. They should be remembered for records that made their mark musically. Question is, what is the last record for the Stones that did that? I for one haven't memorized their catalogue, but I'll venture to say maybe Exile on Main Street. I'm probably wrong because I didn't check before writing this (so sue me). Some Girls, perhaps?

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Thu Aug 29, 2002 5:04 pm

Two things Carol: Regarding liner notes, and learning about who's in the band, who played what, who produced the album and who wrote the songs, you have to have the albums to read the liner notes. This guy pretty obviously doesn't have any Stones or Nirvana in his collection. He barely knows who they are.

Secondly, I would say that "Some Girls" was the Stones' last truly great album, but I think they were still winning converts and making people happy as late as "Tattoo You." After that, it's understating things to say they've been hit and miss. But that's just me. I'm a crusty, old bastard.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:42 pm

Agreed, you do need to own the album or at least have access to it to read the liner notes. And you need to own a magazine to read it or have access...and the same goes for books etc. I understand your point. Mine was simply to underscore the video generation that doesn't read or take the time to find things out. I don't own records by certain bands, but I know who members are as I'm sure you do and has been stated before. Perhaps it's simple desire to learn and understand where bands come from...asking why they sound that way...why they cover a certain song...what band they think are cool...

And for my gut opinion on the Stones, they oughta hang 'em up. It's just plain embarassing now.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Post by sab » Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:40 am

miss carol wrote: Mine was simply to underscore the video generation that doesn't read or take the time to find things out.
This applies not just to the kids listening, but the kids making the music. Case in point: Britney covering that "Pat Benetar" song on her last album.

The Stones never should have got off drugs.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:31 am

True, but Britney is one in a LOOOONNGG list of Barbie and Ken dolls throughout pop history that allow themselves to be manipulated by the Svengali's of the day.

Pat Benetar?? Really? I'm not up on by BS, I guess :)

sab
GLONO Team Member

Post by sab » Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:50 am

BS said in an interview that she was excited to do a cover of "I Love Rock N Roll" because she had a lot of respect for Pat Benetar. Of course, it was really a Joan Jett song, but...

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:02 pm

HA! That's pretty funny! Plus ironic since Joan was herself a product of the Svengali syndrome a la Kim Fowley. Too much....

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:40 pm

Yeah, but Joan Jett actually turned out to give a shit about music and have some chops. Britney, on the other hand, will never emerge from the shadows of her producers, managers, choreographers, handlers, etc.

I'm not going to pretend I have any idea how much the 12-25 set reads mags or anything else. I don't have a clue. My own 11-year-old daughter is a voracious reader, but she's also a fan of the Mr. T Experience, the Groovie Ghoulies, the Eyeliners and Paul Simon. I don't think she's the standard by which I should be judging the kids. However, I do know that anytime I try to converse intelligently about current chart-topping acts, I betray a shocking ignorance. I actually had to ask someone once upon a time who the fuck Marshall Mathers was. This was before the new one came out, but after the second one. I knew who Eminem was, but I certainly wasn't up on it enough to make that connection.

And why would I be? I don't listen to Em... much. I don't read about him, and I don't care. Hell, I look at most of the top ten these days and wonder who the fuck these people are and what do they sound like, but I also assume it's lowest common denominator crap, and rarely pursue it. Mind you, I know the names most of the time, but I'm decidedly obsessive and weird about music. And I certainly don't know any of the details. It's a matter of what you care about. I can't think of a single reason why a 20-year-old would give a crap about the Stones, unless he's a music geek like me. I'm a little more mystified about how Nirvana didn't penetrate his conciousness, but I guess I'm still not that shocked.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:42 pm

The above post is mine. I forgot to log in.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Sat Aug 31, 2002 12:07 pm

uh, the Joan Jett comment was mine...I too forgot to log in. Anyway, yeah, she did end up caring. And you're likely right about BS who will likely disappear ...one can only hope.

I agree, I have little idea of the top 10. Maybe it all sounds the same? Or I'm just not plugged in. Maybe Rock and Roll is parent's music now? shiver...