Dave Chappelle Inks $50 Million Deal

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Dave Chappelle Inks $50 Million Deal

Post by Jake » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:47 am

Dave Chappelle has signed a massive deal with Comedy Central

The first of 26 new episodes of "Chappelle's Show" is expected to premiere in the first quarter of next year. Each 13-episode season will consist of 10 original episodes, plus two "best-of" episodes and another devoted to music performances.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by creepy » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:44 am

he's rich byatch!

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Post by Johnny Loftus » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:06 am

The "I'm Rick James, Bitch" phenomenon was one of the faster-growing pop culture events of the 2000s. The sketch certainly deserved the buzz - it was absurdist, culturally wise, and filled to the hilt with inviting, instantly recognizable catch-phrases ("Thumbs down on them titties!"). With the "Rick James True Hollywood Story", Chappelle effortlessly galvanized not only bar-going twentysomethings, but the college market, as well, achieving something the most recent cast of "Saturday Night Live", for example, could only dream of doing.

But while the skit's meteoric rise to the lips of cackling white people everywhere mainstreamed Chappelle like "Pooty Tang" and "Half Baked" couldn't, its rapid ascent also constricted its staying power. In other words, Chappelle found out quick how fast shark jumping has gotten in the 21st century. Reports from his post-show standup tour had the comic fighting back "Rick James" hecklers like David Cross putting off "Mr Show" geeks. And "Chappelle's Show" itself, while still funnier than, say, "Quintuplets", strained against the pressure of the sketch. Squeezed between its too-frequent commercial breaks, the show was often chuckle-funny, but not at the level of outright side-splitting insanity that the "Rick James" bit was (props to Charlie Murphy).

So now the sketch has secured Chappelle a 50 million dollar payout, an option for "Rick James", and a two season guarantee. But it will be interesting to see what he comes up with, since Jon Mayer strumming a strat for a Harlem barbershop is only funny once.

JTL

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:32 am

It's true, Johnny. Not all his shit is that funny. I was kind of johnny-come-lately to Mr. Chappelle, but thanks to Tivo, I think I've now seen the entirety of the first two seasons. My overall impression is that there's an average of one funny skit per episode. That's not bad. And again, thanks to Tivo, I can bloop past all the unfunny stuff, commercials, and music.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:42 pm

I think it just took him a little while to get going. I didn't even care for it that much during the first season, but after the Rick James skits, it seems to have really taken off. Since then, the skits like The Real Real World and the Wayne Brady skit were really, really funny. I say congratulations to him. Maybe they can take the money out of Crank Yankers' budget and cancel that rotten piece of crap once and for all.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Wed May 11, 2005 8:36 am

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Post by Johnny Loftus » Wed May 11, 2005 9:03 am

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

Chuck Norris Action Jeans
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Chuck Norris Action Jeans » Wed May 11, 2005 9:55 am

Johnny Loftus wrote:Cocaine's a hell of a drug.
Why don't you purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka?

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 » Wed May 11, 2005 10:35 am

I think the Chappelle Show is one of the few outlets for good, objective television we have and I hope it isn't delayed too much. I know Chappelle, despite the impression you'd get from the coke references in Rick James and the marijuana influence of Half Baked, prefers to hit the sauce a little hard so I hope that isn't a factor.

Unfortunately, it's impossible for anything to live up to the type of hype the new season was starting to get and I think Chappelle is realizing that now. There will inevitably people who hate it because now expectations are tremendous. But I'm sure if you look at it objectively the new episodes will be as funny as the first two seasons.

By the way, steve-o, the Real Real World actually was before Rick James. The Season 1 stuff shouldn't be overlooked.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o » Wed May 11, 2005 12:08 pm

Tom4 wrote:By the way, steve-o, the Real Real World actually was before Rick James. The Season 1 stuff shouldn't be overlooked.
Was that the first season? I didn't mean to say it was all bad, I just don't think it was as consistently funny until a little later.

I've been hearing the "creative differences" rumor a lot lately. It wouldn't surprise me, though with as much as they let South Park get away with, you would think they would cut Chappelle some slack.

And they still haven't cancelled those stupid puppets. Does anyone actually watch that crap?