New cd's = love

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

New cd's = love

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

Picked up the new Libertines and Guided By Voices cds, and finally picked up the latest Modest Mouse. God, I love it when I score a bunch of new cds and they all kick ass.

I really can't get enough of Good News...and I didn't really care for much old MM (even tho I loves me some Ugly Casanova). This is really a superb album-but you all knew that already.

And the new Libertines seems poised to become a perfect album - I need to listen to it some more, but so far it rocks.

As for GBV, I'll be writing a review for it soon.
anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by anothermonkey »

I still enjoy it, but the new MM is actually my least favorite of all their albums. I've been a huge fan for many years, though, and my favorite moments are still their spazzy stuff from 'Lonesome Crowded West' era. I also really liked the atmosphere of 'The Moon and Antarctica.' The new one has a lot of great songs, but I can't help but compare it to my favorite songs from their past.

I definitely want to check out the Libertines. Clashy, right? That's good enough for me.

GBV always makes me happy, so I may have to check that one out as well.
amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by amighty »

I hate to admit it, but I am really enjoying the new Mooney Suzuki album. I'm a MS fan from way back (like two years maybe) and fully expected this album to blow. It's overproduced, panders to its pop aspirations, and generally seems like a sell-out. I saw the band play in NYC a few months ago and they were at best a poor imitation of their old selves. I'm surprised I even listened to it all the way through.

That being said, the new album sometimes rocks, and actually has a lot of great hooks and got some really heavy rotation at my place over the long weekend. I hate it when that happens... the beauty of low expectations I guess.
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

A friend brought the new MM on a quick road trip. I like it a lot. On my "to buy list".

I have a lot of lists, it seems.
Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Little Timmy »

Amighty wrote:It's overproduced, panders to its pop aspirations, and generally seems like a sell-out.
I had the same trepidation about The Comas' new cd, Conductor. Especially after they signed on with Warner Bros. (which then sold U.S. distribution rights back to their old label, Yep Roc). Especially after I read that singer Andy Herod wrote several songs for Conductor about his relationship (and breakup) with Michelle Williams, the Dawson's Creek actress. Blecchhh. Especially when Yep Roc announced that the CD would be bundled with a way-overproduced, feature-length DVD (with appearances by Herod and Williams, nonetheless). Last, but not least, Pitchfork liked it: http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-review ... ctor.shtml.

I don't doubt I'll be hearing at least one of the tracks over the white noise at Target, but I can't listen to it enough these days. I still can't bring myself to watch the DVD.
steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o »

This is as good a time as any to bring this up. I know in the past I've blown off Franz Ferdinand as just another in the long line of dance-punk Gang of Four wannabe bands, but I went ahead and picked up the CD a few days ago anyway. So even though it might get me a reputation as a flip-flopper, I'm going to say that album kicked my ass. "Come on Home" was on repeat for most of this weekend. So I was totally wrong about them, and had I known what I know now about them, I would have made the decision to by the CD before. It's okay, its not like I'm running for President or anything.
And Good News is no Lonesome Crowded West, but it's still pretty damn good.
Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

Yep, Franz F. delivers the goods, all right. That one was on ultra-heavy rotation for awhile at the Casa De Shecky.
Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 »

Good CD's I've bought recently:

Manitoba, Up in Flames
The Roots, The Tipping Point
Snow Patrol, The Final Straw
Madlib, Shades of Blue

CD's to be released soon that will kick ass to buy:

Talib Kweli, The Beautiful Struggle
Mos Def, The New Danger
Dabrye, Two/Three
Ted Leo, Shake the Sheets
anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by anothermonkey »

steve-o wrote:This is as good a time as any to bring this up. I know in the past I've blown off Franz Ferdinand as just another in the long line of dance-punk Gang of Four wannabe bands, but I went ahead and picked up the CD a few days ago anyway. So even though it might get me a reputation as a flip-flopper, I'm going to say that album kicked my ass. "Come on Home" was on repeat for most of this weekend. So I was totally wrong about them, and had I known what I know now about them, I would have made the decision to by the CD before. It's okay, its not like I'm running for President or anything.
And Good News is no Lonesome Crowded West, but it's still pretty damn good.
The same happened for me. I ignored that album for months, finally bought it (it's always sooo cheap) and now love it. To me they sound like a really, really good Strokes.

I'm going to buy this new Interpol album. I'll be happy with more of the same.
dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by dieblucasdie »

You've got to respect the Mooney Suzuki. When they went to a major label. at least they did just make a tame version of their older albums with better production values (ahem, Modest Mouse), they went ALL OUT.

That said, MM will never, ever top Lonesome Crowded West. Best albums of the 90s, easily. Fuck OK Computer, fuck Loveless, and evem fuck Nevermind. Best album of the 90s.