New cd's = love

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Coopstar
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Coopstar »

And the new Libertines seems poised to become a perfect album - I need to listen to it some more, but so far it rocks.
Yeah - great album already. It's not as "tight" as Up The Bracket, but damn - its an awesome sloppy rock and roll experience. I too picked up the new Mooney Suzuki and MM, I'll have to agree - the Mooney's hooks are great again, even though I long for their lo-fi approach. As far as MM goes, I actually prefer The Moon And Antarcica but I only listen to it when I want to get depressed - which isn't often. Also I picked up the new Saraha Hotnights record and although very punch-pop, its not bad either. There are tons of great acts releasing stuff soon - should end up being another great year for our favorite bands. Lets hope they keep it up.
steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o »

dieblucasdie wrote:That said, MM will never, ever top Lonesome Crowded West. Best albums of the 90s, easily. Fuck OK Computer, fuck Loveless, and evem fuck Nevermind. Best album of the 90s.
Ouch. The man really likes his Lonesome Crowded West. You really mean that?
thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by thousandfold »

PJ Harvey, Uh Huh Her
Tears for Fears, Everybody Loves a Happy Ending

...both of which have special iTunes exclusives that I really want to buy!!
anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by anothermonkey »

Thinking about MM and some other bands, it always seems like indie band's best albums get ignored when they're signed to a major label. The band makes an amazing album, which gets the attention of college stations and uber indie fans, and then the majors come looking. Their major label album then gets all the press and attention, even though it was their lp before that one that was really a stand out. 'The Lonesome Crowded West' was definitely that great ignored album before MM's major label albums, and off the top of my head '24 hour revenge therapy' was Jawbreaker's finest moment before their major label catastrophe (in some people's eyes). Anyway, just a thought.
emilyjb
GLONO Board Playa

Post by emilyjb »

I actually just bought the Mooney Suzuki's Electric Sweat a few weeks ago and it rocks me out in the shower.

I'm also loving The Streets' new album, and yeah, the new Interpol.[/i]
dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by dieblucasdie »

Yeah, that new Interpol album is quite a bit better than I've previously given it credit for.

I'm even willing to go out on a limb and say I like it better than the first one, though I wasn't one of its big partisans to begin with.

And yes, I was 100% serious about Lonesome Crowded West. That album perfectly captures the contemporary American west, where I grew up. It makes me feel like I'm in a dive in some nowhere Montana town again.
amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by amighty »

The Lonesome Crowded West is also my fave MM album. Not only does it work best as a whole, but it's got the best songs too, including Doin' The Cockroach, which kills me every time.
Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Post by Proptronics »

Though, it's going on two months old...

AC Newman "Slow Wonder" is so fucking great!

Doin' the cockroach does slay my ass but so does Black Cadillacs off the new album.

White Magic "In Through The Sun Door" think indie rock Nina Simone, sorta. The piano driven songs are stark and haunting.

The Good Life "Album Of The Year" It's an album that chronilogically follows the shittiest relationship you've ever had. I don't normally get into the Saddle Creek bands but this one's really growing on me.
steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o »

Proptronics wrote:The Good Life "Album Of The Year" It's an album that chronilogically follows the shittiest relationship you've ever had. I don't normally get into the Saddle Creek bands but this one's really growing on me.
I have to say I was really, really disappointed with the EP teaser he put out for that album. It all sounded like Cursive-reject songs. I thought Black Out was much better than the new one.
acaron

Post by acaron »

I'm going home to listen to the new Libertines tonight, am so excited.

Has anyone seen them live yet? I got tickets for October 8 in Minneapolis. I don't know the tour schedule, so I don't know where else they have played. I just pray that none of them get arrested before then. I want to see them before they go to jail.