Songs That Make You Want To Commit Murder

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal »

LionIndex wrote:I didn't either. But, the Dude can't stand the fucking Eagles, and that's good enough for me, although they generally made me retch before I ever saw that anyway.

Half of Steve Miller's ouevre will drive me batshit. It hurts too much to even get into specifics. That is all.
I got the idea that the Dude hated the Eagles because they stole his thunder. Like his jealousy won't permit him to admit he likes them. Or something.

Steve Miller is a lot more iffy to me. All it takes is an "Abracadabra" and I'm in that tower, sighting targets!
Resi

Post by Resi »

Herb Tarlek wrote: Although I caught the Canadian premiere of a new series called "Rescue Me", starring Denis Leary as a veteran NYC firefighter trying to get by while the memories of 9/11 and the friends/family he lost there are still fresh in his mind. Funny parts, good writing, looks promising. Apparently it is from a US Cable network whose name escapes me (not HBO), so I am sure we are getting it 3 years after it aired in the US, but it looks good so far. Has anyone else seen it? Have they made more than 1 season? Just curious.
Actually, Herb, that show premeired earlier this summer in the US, so who knows if there's more than one season, but I hope there will be. It's on FX, which is a cable division of FOX (right?). I like it; the characters are surprisingly sympathetic, y'know, for a bunch of jerks.

Songs that make me want to commit murder?
Oh: Yellowcard's song about "you are my only only" or whatever the heck it was. I like "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison but I hate "Everyone".
dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by dieblucasdie »

Barabajagal wrote:
I got the idea that the Dude hated the Eagles because they stole his thunder. Like his jealousy won't permit him to admit he likes them. Or something
Don't worry B, I harbor NO love for Fleetwood Mac. I became physically ill when bitchfork put Rumours higher than Never Mind the Bullocks... on their recent 70s-cool-revisionism list.

As much as I hate the Eagles, I can't and won't fault you if you enjoy them. We are obviously from different generations, and that can have a huge influence on musical tastes. You are much kinder to Don Henley and Glen Frey than you ought to be, but by the same token, I'm much friendlier to Eddie Vedder and Mike McCready than I ought to be.
Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Lep »

I hated the Eagles when I was a kid, and I hated Skynyrd, too. The Eagles seemed smarmy and Skynyrd was too redneck for me, and both were played on the radio endlessly.

Today, I like Skynyrd and find them quite soulful; I outgrew my reasons for not liking them. The reason I didn't like the Eagles still holds. (Though I do like a number of their songs, especially the ones that are sorta smooth soul - "I Can't Tell You Why," for example.)

But to get back on topic, I am likely to kill to reach to the "off" button if "Hotel California" plays.
jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas »

D. Phillips wrote:"The Day the Music Died" by Don McLean. I fucking hate that song.

"Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison. You can blame Oldies radio and wedding DJs for this one.

"Love Shack" by B52s. Do I need to explain?
I'll start my list with that of D. Phillips, who apparently lives inside my head. I hate all 3 of these fucking songs, and 1 and 3 will drive me into pure rage.

Also:
- "Centerfield" by John Fogerty. Can't go to a baseball game without it being played. A blinding white anger comes over me, but I contain myself.
- "Longview" by Green Day. I did like this one time. Now a miasmal fury submerges me, but I contain myself.
- "Don't Worry, Be Happy". How can such a joyful song inspire me to fits? Perhaps hearing it FIVE THOUSAND TIMES and having Bush Sr. adopt it as a campaign theme has something to do with it? A distillation of hate and vengeance surges through me, but I contain it.

On the bright side, I was listening to a Red Sox game on the radio once when I heard them use the guitar hook from Superchunk's "Hyper Enough" as the lead-in. So there's hope out there, ya know.
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

jonas wrote: - "Longview" by Green Day. I did like this one time. Now a miasmal fury submerges me, but I contain myself.
This is the acoustic ballad, right? Oh, how I HATE this song now. What was once a nice pretty tune warped into some anthemic piece of shit by the makers of sports highlights!
"Don't Worry, Be Happy". How can such a joyful song inspire me to fits? Perhaps hearing it FIVE THOUSAND TIMES and having Bush Sr. adopt it as a campaign theme has something to do with it?
That gives me additional arsenal for my hatred of this song; an anthem to the "Chicken Soup" crowd. Don't do anything, just lie back, smile and be co-opted by those who know what's best for you.
On the bright side, I was listening to a Red Sox game on the radio once when I heard them use the guitar hook from Superchunk's "Hyper Enough" as the lead-in. So there's hope out there, ya know.
You say that NOW! Wait till next year when they play it ad nauseum. That riff will appear on this '05 list in the hated column of the box score. There a Ramone's riff (song?) that was played at hockey games. The first time was "hey, cool!" Second time, "ok, stop it. go back to tom cochrane". Thank God for lock outs.
creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by creepy »

miss carol, yr thinking "time of your life"... longview's the one about watching TV and masturbating... i kinda like longview... it's got a really cool bass line...

and jake, my reasons for hating that summer girl song are twofold... first, the group responsible for that horror are called L.F.O. (lyte funky ones)... this is wrong on sooooo many levels... "lyte"?!!! they should have their genitalia slowly sanded down for that... "funky" no no no no no no no no no yr not... those guys are about as funky as john ashcroft... second, even as i sit here, that song is running amok in my brain... it cannot be stopped... it's like some kind of hyper-caffinated cancer... that particular song, for whatever reason, will not leave my head for days upon even thinking about it... i have no problem with stupid pop songs in general... the Xtinas and brittneys of the world are less offensive to me than the insane clown posses and creeds, but that one song has managed to really rub me the wrong way... (maybe 'cuz i love chinese food?)
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

Ah yes. All clear. No, I don't think I've heard "Longview" - not conciously.
Erica C.
GLONO Board Pimp

"

Post by Erica C. »

Creed. Creed. Creed. (enter screams)
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

miss carol wrote:Ah yes. All clear. No, I don't think I've heard "Longview" - not conciously.
Of course you have. It was their first hit. "I bite my lip and close my eyes..." I think it's a great song.