LIST 'EM!!! My First Bells

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

LIST 'EM!!! My First Bells

Post by worpswede »

Think back to that time before you were a music geek. Did you save your pennies for that K-Tel compilation? Were you lost in the "Xanadu" soundtrack? How much was that fucking doggie in the window? Perhaps lodged between your Interpol and Joy Division is that well worn copy of Journey's "Escape." Tell everyone your first bells: What were the first five albums that you ever bought? We won't hold it against you! We all understand that you had to pass through Kansas to get to Oklahoma's Flaming Lips.
Showing my age with these:
1.) ROLLING STONES-Beggar's Banquet (Woolworth's, Shenandoah, Iowa)
2.) THE BEATLES-Let It Be (cutout...on Apple! at Montgomery Wards, Keokuk, Iowa)
3.) BLOODROCK-Bloodrock 2 (some local record store closing in Keokuk, Iowa)
4.) BADFINGER-Straight Up (ditto...)
5.) ALICE COOPER-Love It To Death (ditto...their loss was my gain!)
I was more of a 45 freak and those purchases were much more telling. If you're thinking my first bells were somehow "highbrow," I'd urge you to listen to Bloodrock's "D.O.A." and have me explain why I bought Terry Jacks' "Seasons In The Sun" single. The answer: puppy love. And not the Jimmy Osmond kind, either.
Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Post by Proptronics »

I'm not sure of the order after the first two. The first two certainly were my first two purchases, though!

Eddie Grant - Going For Broke
Quiet Riot - Metal Health
David Lee Roth - Crazy From The Heat
Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual
Paul Simon - Graceland
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

First purchases with my own money? I remember Santa bringin' a little miss Donny & Marie, Shawn Cassidy, and The Bay City Rollers. I grabbed a '50s Juke Box Greatest hits 4 lp set at Woolco's. I think my most treasured though were Beatles' records esp. Twist & Shout (a Canada only release as I later discovered). Man, I played that thing to death. Oh, and I wouldn't be pre-teen girl in 1979 without the Grease soundtrack. Fortunately I discovered rock existed past 1965 and black light posters. :)
creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by creepy »

for sure the first 2 things i owned were 1. "the dukes of hazzard theme" 45 by waylon jennings, and 2. "double vision" by foreigner... and my mom got me those... it really didn't occur to me to actually spend my own money on music untill i got into the 8th grade and started listening to punk rock... until i was 13 or so i used to dub my friend's tapes or tape songs off the radio... it wasn't 'till then that i found anything that i wanted to listen to enough to actually buy... (altho looking back i seem to remember listening to my mom's elvis costello, talking heads, and especially "times square" soundtrack more than anything else as a kid...)... as for what i bought when i started buyng, i remember getting circle jerks "wonderful", bad brains "the youth are getting restless", sex pistols "nevermind the bollocks", minor threat "out of step", and 7 seconds "walk together, rock together"... all on cassette... rawk...

i distinctly remember the very first cd that i bought... nine inch nails "head like a hole" cd single... bought it the same night i saw pump up the volume... aaaah youth...
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

Hey, Billy Squire's "Stroke" just came on the radio...so to speak. I've been transported to grade 7 in 3:30 mintues!
Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

Dear God, you kids with your music! Old man Shecky's first purchased LP's were as follows:

1-The Monkees
2-Sonny & Cher Live

Then there was a period when all I bought were singles - then came puberty:

3-Kiss - Alive
4-Kiss - Destroyer
5-Kiss - Love Gun

I was kind of into Kiss in 5th grade. Gene Simmons puking blood was way cool.
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

rick springfield. other than that i had the usual kids music.
Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Post by Proptronics »

What the fuck Shecky!?!?

was way cool? It's still cool in my book...
jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 »

Here's what I can remember of those dark days of yore:

Osmond Bros. - "Crazy Horses"
Beatles - "Yellow Submarine sndtrk." (Man was I pissed that side 2 was the theatrical score and not more Beatles tunes!!!)
Beach Boys - "Spirit of America"
Beach Boys - "Endless Summer"
Kiss - "Love Gun" ("Christine Sixteen" was my first exposure to the boys, hence the album. A smart kid would have purchased "Alive," "Destroyer" or "Rock and Roll Over" first. That last one gets in by virtue of the totally awesome song "Hard Luck Woman" and the only slightly less awesome "Calling Dr. Love." )
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

Osmond Bros. - "Crazy Horses"
I have that! The cover was brown like a piece of wood with a photo of the Mormon boys sitting barefoot (gasp! scandal!) around a creek. I inherited that record from my cuz who retained her original Rolling Stones pressings...bitch.