LIST 'EM!!! My First Bells

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by dieblucasdie » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:36 pm

The first two CDs I ever bought, in my 7th grade haze, were Pearl Jam's Vitalogy and Ace of Base's The Sign, two purchases which, oddly, I stand behind to this day.

That said though, much of my youth was wasted listening to second tier alt/grunge acts (ie STP, that first Counting Crows record, Collective Soul).

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:57 pm

miss carol wrote:
Osmond Bros. - "Crazy Horses"
I have that! The cover was brown like a piece of wood with a photo of the Mormon boys sitting barefoot (gasp! scandal!) around a creek.
On the MGM label, which stands for Many Good Mormons!

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:14 am

Proptronics wrote:What the fuck Shecky!?!?

was way cool? It's still cool in my book...
That's for godamn sure. Where the hell are the blood-vomiting rock stars of today? None of them does anything half that cool.

Chris G
Dotman

Post by Chris G » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:29 am

Oh, I'm going to be right at home in this thread...

1 KISS - Rock-N-Roll Over

2 Beatles - 1962-1966

3 Beatles - 1967-1970

4 Elton John - A Single Man

5 Elvis Presley - Madison Square Garden

----------

In about kindergarden, I had a child's plastic record player (mono, with the fold down top and a handle). I believe it was a christmas gift when I was maybe five. I know we had several christmas songs on 7" (the only one I remember was little drummer boy).

When we were about 5 or 6-ish, my mother dated and then briefly married Ronnie Gordon, the house engineer and studio manager for Stax Records. Ron took my sister and I to Peaches Records. I picked out Boogie Fever by The Sylvers (which I still own). That was my first vinyl acquisition.

We would regularly go to Peaches, where we each got to pick out one 7" of our own choosing at each visit.

Later at Peaches I bought my first 12", the Kiss album... actually, the only Kiss album I've ever owned (though I do have several tracks today on my iPod, not sure if that counts).

For the next year or so, I only collected 7"s.

2, 3, 4 and 5 were all bought at the same time, at a Wallgreens drug store.

Last edited by Chris G on Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Heitzie
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Heitzie » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:34 am

I didn't ever buy "Thriller" but I borrowed my mom's on a permanent basis (I was 8)

The Breakfast Club soundtrack cassette (only for Simple Minds)
Two below average Beatles comp cassettes called "Rock and Roll Music" vols I & II
Black Sabbath (self-titled)
Metallica -"Kill 'em All"

Before that I had dubbed copies of albums on cassette from friends - Led Zeppelin IV, an atrocious Styx Greatest Hits I wasn't too crazy about even at 12, A Who Greatest Hits collection, and some Manneheim Steamroller thing. When I was 14-15 I stared buying CD's and cassettes on a regular basis and cultivated a more distinct taste of my own.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:14 am

Heitzie wrote: an atrocious Styx Greatest Hits I wasn't too crazy about even at 12,
It is right and just to bag on Styx, but I would be remiss if I didn't say that my next "replacing it on cd" purchase is going to be Grand Illusion if they don't have Highway to Hell in stock.

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by blackshoestring » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:10 am

I think the first was this "Two Front Teeth" Christmas album. That kid on the front really bugged us.

Then Santa started catching on.

Not long after I got this I asked for a pair of fashion boots so I could be just like Frida and Anna.
Kinda like every year...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:00 pm

1980. First 45 I bought with my own money was "9 to 5" by Dolly Parton. First lp was Queen's The Game. I had a hand-me-down 8-track/turntable combo and went to Meijer and picked up an Elvis hits tape and The Doors' greatest hits 8-tracks. I remember that at the time Meijer had an equal size section for 8-tracks and the new cassettes. There was still vinyl too. I knew 8-tracks were on their way out, but I thought they were cool. And clunky. I eventually got an 8-track/cassette adapter for that stereo.

I remember playing "9 to 5" at 33rpm and thinking that Dolly sounded exactly like John Travolta. I wonder if that's actually true. I should go home and try that.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:05 pm

In about kindergarden, I had a child's plastic record player (mono, with the fold down top and a handle). I believe it was a christmas gift when I was maybe five.
I had one similar to that as a kid too. I have had a record player my entire life.

First two purchases were 45s:
1) "Cars" by Gary Numan
2) "Sailing" by Christopher Cross

First albums were:
1) The Doors - The Doors
2) Adam Ant - Friend or Foe
3) The Beatles - White Album

I also got AC/DC's Hell's Bells on cassette for my birthday in 4th grade. I later traded it for a football.

First CD:
U2 - October

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:29 pm

First purchase: Rush 2112 (my dad took me to Kmart but didn't like the look of the Black Sabbath record that was my first choice, and still wondered about me with the naked dude and the red star on 2112)

The Who, Hooligans (compilation)
REO Speedwagon, Decade (compilation)
UFO, Strangers in the Night (live album)
Rainbow, Rainbow Rising