LIST 'EM!!! My First Bells

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Re: LIST 'EM!!! My First Bells

Post by blackshoestring » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:01 pm

worpswede wrote:Tell everyone your first bells: What were the first five albums that you ever bought?
Somehow I thought this subject had something to do with Christmas. Is "bells" what you Swedes are calling it?

The first record I actually bought was "Miss You / Far Away Eyes" 45 by the Stones. I remember the whole bus ride home my friends and I were holding the back of the sleeve up to our faces like a mask of Mick's eyes above our mouths, waving to cars etc. Print this our and try it. It's lots of fun.

1st LP, CS, CD, DVD = Abba.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Post by Dreamin » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:25 pm

blackshoestring wrote: Not long after I got this I asked for a pair of fashion boots so I could be just like Frida and Anna.
Kinda like every year...
OMG, I loved that album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other slumber party classics:

Candy-O - The Cars
Parallel Lines - Blondie
Arrival - ABBA
And of course the soundtracks from Grease and Saturday Night Fever.

The first record that I remember loving as a kid was a KTel surf comp featuring the Beach Boys and Jan and Dean, etc., but I didn't pick it out myself. I also really loved my parents' Herb Alpert records.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:50 pm

Dreamin wrote: I also really loved my parents' Herb Alpert records.
Oh yeah - my folks had a lot of Herp Albert. As teens in the late seventies, we went thru a phase where we cruised around blasting Herp Albert, Martin Denny, and whatever else kooky we could find in our folk's album collections. I was so ready when the whole Cocktail Nation thing bloomed in the 90's. Good times, b!

Speaking of awful first albums, I got my sister's old Ford Maverick in high school that came complete with an 8-track system. By then, 8-tracks were starting to get scarce, so all we had was thrift store 8-tracks. Highlights from the collection were:

Ace Frehley's solo album
REO Speedwagon - You Can Tune A Piano
Kansas - whichever was the one with 'Dust In The Wind'
Doobie Brothers greatest hits
Benny Goodman's greatest hits

People gave me awful 8-tracks as a joke, but I had no choice but to play them until I saved up enough for a cassette player.[/code]

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: LIST 'EM!!! My First Bells

Post by worpswede » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:57 pm

blackshoestring wrote: Somehow I thought this subject had something to do with Christmas. Is "bells" what you Swedes are calling it?
It's that early material cassette only comp from The Minutemen. Speaking of cassettes:
First cassette: Van Halen-"Van Halen" (non-dolby, bought for me by my Grandmother during the obligatory week long vacation at her place over the summer. I guess she knew that I needed more music than her own collection of 78's.)
First 8-Track: Lou Reed-"Sally Can't Dance"
First CD: The Doors-"The Doors" (back when they were terribly expensive and even that poor 80's mastering sounded "awesome.")

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:03 pm

Yep, grew up looking at Herb Alpert, Dean Martin, Peggy Lee, Doris Day, and Cannon Ball Adderly album covers. They had gorgeous vibrant colours all featuring "hi fidelty" sound on a big yellow banner across the top. The greatest thing for me as a kid was the back -- so much info in 8pt type! Honestly, I LOVED cover design from that era.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:05 pm

You're parents were mixing drinks to Cannonball Adderley? How fuckin' cool is that?

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by creepy » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:47 pm

that's pretty swanky...

my mom was doing bong hits to bob segar...

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:50 am

my family wasn't hip at all. my mom didn't have cool stuff. she had christmas records and played the country station when she wasn't playing hank williams jr's family tradition. at the time i also like take it easy by the eagles and jack and dianne by johnny couger.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:15 pm

Dad used to hide the "good" vinyl from my crayon drawing hands. When I found the pile later, I totally ignored the Pete Seger, Peter Paul & Mary albums, but fell into love with Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited" and a Howling Wolf album. Otherwise, it was 8-track central at the house with Dad jamming to Cream albums and West, Bruce, & Lange. Sent him a message recently on the rumour that Cream was actually reforming with a question on if Ginger Baker was too old to complete the entire "Toad" drum solo. God, he was old even thirty years ago.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:30 pm

i don't think my parents were "hip" really, they're just older. big band, country, and crooners were big in my house. i have to laugh thinking about my folks mixing drinks, though. and on US roadtrips in the 70s the radio was stuck on country or oldies. mum was/is a fan of kenny rodgers, so his records pollute the otherwise kinda cool jazz portion of their quite old (thick and heavy) vinyl collection.