U2-'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' on i-tunes

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

U2-'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' on i-tunes

Post by russ » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:32 pm

I bought it on i-tunes today..havent really had the time to play it enough to see if it is any good, but I just HAD to comment on one thing that I applaud U2 for.
When you buy this album on i-tunes, it also downloads an acrobat pdf file of the entire cd cover and booklet art as well! Lyrics ,photos and everything.
I have been waiting for SOMEONE to finally recognize that fans want the liner notes as well when buying music online.
Sure, it would be a hassle to print it all, and cut it out and "make a booklet" at home, but its cool enough to just read it on screen.
I'm just thrilled that they added it to the download.
I hope more artists do the same!!!

Russ

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:20 am

I hate U2. I hate U2. I hate U2. I hate U2. I hate U2.

If I have to see one more of those fucking iPod ads, or hear "UNO, DOS, TRES, CATTORCE!" one more time I swear to God I'm gonna fucking kill all four of them myself.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:38 am

i am with you tom. although i wouldn't use the word hate. that commercial sucks. they sold out big time.

Heitzie
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Heitzie » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:14 am

From about 1985-1988 U2 may have been the greatest band in the world. They were always a little full of it, but after "Joshua Tree" (a legit masterpiece) they seemed to buy into their press clippings. There wasn't an album I could feel really enthusiatic about since then.

I think the "Vertigo" single is great. But it worries me that U2 are clealy willing to do ANYTHING to sell records. Friday's USA Today (last week) detailed plans for U2 to use music in car ads, and how they wanted their music used during a forthcoming "Very Special Episode" of the OC, do they will "forever be linked to that dramatic moment in the show's history". It seems the biggest concern Bono, Edge, Clayton and Mullin have is keeping the megalithic known as U2 in the public eye (and ear) and that never bodes well for the music. Fingers crossed, I won't buy it right away but will try and give it a listen.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:12 am

I break my own rules of indy snobbery when it comes to U2. I think there IS a place in pop music for gigantic rock bands. U2 may have pinched-off a few turds during the 90's, but their last album was solid. They also have never been hypocritical about this. They've been pulling publicity stunts since the early days. Anybody remember that rooftop incident?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:56 am

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:I break my own rules of indy snobbery when it comes to U2. I think there IS a place in pop music for gigantic rock bands. U2 may have pinched-off a few turds during the 90's, but their last album was solid. They also have never been hypocritical about this. They've been pulling publicity stunts since the early days. Anybody remember that rooftop incident?
I've come back around on U2. They haven't melted down, made headline making fools of themselves, and Bono is actually using his fame/fortune to make a difference. Big deal he has an ego; so do a lot of celebs. He has the spotlight and he's sharing it with AIDS ridden Africa. That's a HELL of a lot more than others in his position are doing. Not all of their records are great, but if I were him, I hope I'd do something similar. I just might not wear such silly sunglasses, though.

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Post by Johnny Loftus » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:49 am

Tom4 wrote:I hate U2. I hate U2. I hate U2. I hate U2. I hate U2.

If I have to see one more of those fucking iPod ads, or hear "UNO, DOS, TRES, CATTORCE!" one more time I swear to God I'm gonna fucking kill all four of them myself.
Fuck you. Your transliterated hatred is based on, like, the last thirty seconds of U2's 25 year history. Get some perspective, brother, 'cause right now it sounds like you hate TBWAChiatDay more than you do Irish rock quartets.

JTL

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:53 am

GREAT singles band who has always had their heart(s) in the right place. One of the best live shows of our time. They've never made a single album I personally liked all the way through, but I'd be a fool to argue with all their great songs. Just when you think they're done, they hit you with something brilliant. I'll never talk bad about the band that wrote "One."

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:40 am

I am seriously torn. I thnk that at base, All That You Can't Leave Behind was a decent, strong, if not classic album. I think ultimately for the most part, U2's heart is in the right place. I think that despite the fact that he may come off as sanctimonius sometimes, Bono's heart is in the right place with all of his altruistic charity work, and I do applaud the fact he's using his fame for good. Such a nice Irish Catholic boy...

I get ultra-nauseated when I see this recent orgy of capitalism and overexposing ad-work ahead of the album. I think the title How to Dismantle..., all context removed, is stupid. And I promise you, Bono's shitty Spanish is gonna bug me forever. "One, two, three, FOURTEEN!!" Any five-year-old kid today could have told him cuatro is the word. Besides, you're telling me that in all of Universal Music Group, one of the guys in MCA Latina couldn't have pulled Bono aside and caught the mistake? Ye gods...

So yeah, I'm torn. I don't think U2 is anywhere near as pitiful and washed up as the Stones. But why can't I like them wholeheartedly without feeling dirty in the morning? I don't think U2 respects us the morning after...

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by nobodygirl » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:52 am

DJMurphy wrote: And I promise you, Bono's shitty Spanish is gonna bug me forever. "One, two, three, FOURTEEN!!" Any five-year-old kid today could have told him cuatro is the word. Besides, you're telling me that in all of Universal Music Group, one of the guys in MCA Latina couldn't have pulled Bono aside and caught the mistake? Ye gods...
I'm one of the last people on earth to defend Bono, but I will explain what I read/heard about the Spanish part (I was incensed at the bad Spanish before I knew this, too, and now I still think it's kind of lame. Then again, I am an asshole who wants to punch people): the "fourteen" is a reference to the fact that it is their fourteenth album, but that's only if you count that Passengers side project thing they did, or something....
On a side note, I have friend who is approaching middle age and constantly teases me about my music and its hipness. She embraces her desperate unhipness, and together we have decided that the fact that U2 has a member of the group called "The Edge" is hilarious; she couldn't stop laughing for ten minutes when I told her that. We have decided that the other members besides Bono are Lamppost and Butter Knife.
That is all.