U2-'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' on i-tunes

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 »

Johnny Loftus wrote:
Fuck you. Your transliterated hatred is based on, like, the last thirty seconds of U2's 25 year history. Get some perspective, brother, 'cause right now it sounds like you hate TBWAChiatDay more than you do Irish rock quartets.

JTL

No, I'm actually basing my hatred on, like, the last 10 years of their 25 year history. It just so happens the topic brought up was their most recent album, so that was what I was commenting on. Unfortunately, I didn't realize some people were so attached to the band. So try and cool it? If someone told me they hated Radiohead, or the Beach Boys, I certainly wouldn't say "Fuck you" to them.

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by blackshoestring »

Tom4 wrote: If I have to see one more of those fucking iPod ads, or hear "UNO, DOS, TRES, CATTORCE!" one more time I swear to God I'm gonna fucking kill all four of them myself.
I wouldn't go to any major sports events this year then. They must have played that intro 20 times at the game I was at.

I love U2. I love U2. I love U2. I love U2. I love U2 (but that was a bit much).

Batchy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Batchy »

I love U2 for being Irish and supernova in the late 80's when we were piss poor and had fuck all to be cheerful about. I hate U2 for the mediocre guitar bands that they spawned in Dublin in the 90's. I don't mind their new single, i'm quite surprised at its ... eh ... punchiness really although they seem to take whatever is hip (in this case 80's indie guitar pop-punk), homogenise it and kind of bland it up as a result. Although, maybe it's just the fact that it's overplayed on the radio right now that's responsible for that?

Either way, i agree with Tom4 when he says that the last 10 years of their 25 year history have been particularly shite (not your words Tom4 but the general gist i presume). To be honest i only like The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree. I also have, for inexplicable reasons, a soft spot for Rattle and Hum.

Coopstar
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Coopstar »

I am also starting to come back to them. Albeit slowly. I was very into them around the Joshua Tree/Actung era. I don't care what anyone says - "Where The Streets Have No Name" is still a powerful song. I didn't care for Zooropa or Pop. My brother is a U2 fanboy (much the same way I am with the 'orrible who). I did see them on their last tour a few years back with said brother, and must admit - the show was good. Bono has always been cleverly effective in capturing the audience and keeping everyone entertained (for an arena show). Much more emotion involved in the performance then I had thought. Speaking from a music perspective only and not a corporate one - it could certainly be much, much worse.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal »

nobodygirl wrote:together we have decided that the fact that U2 has a member of the group called "The Edge" is hilarious; she couldn't stop laughing for ten minutes when I told her that.
The fact that they actually call him "The Edge." And the name "Bono," too. Really, it's best not to think about it!

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by blackshoestring »

I could start a whole topic on this, but did anybody care for Bono's "Lemon" period?

To me, Bono falsetto = skip button, and that usually goes for Mick, Prince, and even the Brothers Gibb. With the exception of maybe Frankie Valley, Andy Bell, and Lambchop, falsetto should be used sparingly, don't you think?

So anyway, I'm glad Bono still sings loud.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Little Timmy »

Batchy wrote:I hate U2 for the mediocre guitar bands that they spawned in Dublin in the 90's.

Not just Dublin. Remember Big Country? Gawd.

antigravity

Post by antigravity »

Well it may not be fair but U2 gets a free lifetime pass from me. I've been with them since 1981. And sure whatever negative thing people say is probably either true or has some merit. In my teens and twenties i went my indie way, and with both All That You Can't Leave Behind and this one, i was sure they would finally disappoint me. It took til the middle of Track 5 for me to cry like a little girl. I've always thought of them as my big brothers and when he sings "LIttle sister..." that's for me. So there.

And i believe his friends are allowed to call him simply "Edge" (As if Iggy isn't a funny name.)

And, another thing, you don't honestly believe that the 'uno, dos, tres, catorce' was a ignorant mistake do you? Just a little joke that's all.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o »

blackshoestring wrote:I could start a whole topic on this, but did anybody care for Bono's "Lemon" period?
No. Simply. No.

U2 up to The Joshua Tree- Fucking phenomenal
U2 during Achtung Baby- Good, but still the beginning of the end
....and basically its all been downhill since then. U2, you stand accused of the following crimes against humanity: Pop and Discoteque, how do you plead? And no time off for All That You Can't Leave Behind.

With the new album, the songwriting ability seems like it is there, but the production just sucks. Really, I want to slap the hell out of whoever decided to make the Edge's guitar sound like he was playing for The Vines. Sorry, I just gave up on U2 a while ago. Best to remember what used to be.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by russ »

Tom4 wrote:

No, I'm actually basing my hatred on, like, the last 10 years of their 25 year history. It just so happens the topic brought up was their most recent album, so that was what I was commenting on.
Actually the main reason for me starting this topic was to point out that when you download the U2 album on i-tunes, you get the pdf file of the booklet as well, which is VERY COOL and a first for i-tunes as far as I know.
I had no idea my lil' post would spark such a feisty debate.

Russ