U2-'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' on i-tunes

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

irons suck.
jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 »

miss carol wrote:Iron Maiden's "22 Acacia Avenue" from Number of the Beast -- a great fucking record, dammit!!
Miss Carol, isn't it about time you marry me? Fuck yeah!

So, U2... love 'em. Don't love all their stuff (we can all pretty much agree that Pop sucked outright, but Zooropa had its moments... two or three of them, anyway) but the majority of it is fine by me. I've followed them since Boy, and I'll keep checking out the new stuff. And I don't hate Bono. For the record, Boy, War, Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are all GREAT albums by my estimation, though probably none of 'em are what you'd call perfect.
Batchy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Batchy »

Larry Mullen's Dad, Larry Mullen Senior used to work for the people that now employ me!

.....And Kevin Shield's cousin works with me too! I remember we were out for a few drinks and talking about music and she said (oblivious to his indie/cult fame):

"Oh, my cousin is a musician."

"Really? Would i know him?"

"No, probably not. His name is Kevin Shields"

"Fuck off!"

"Yeah. Do you know of him?"

"Do i know of him? Sure i do. Did i ever tell you you've got beautiful eyes?"
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

kevin shields?
Batchy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Batchy »

Of My Bloody Valentine fame!
worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede »

jaimoe0 wrote:
Miss Carol, isn't it about time you marry me? Fuck yeah!
Damnit Jaimoe! I was thinking the same thing!
Since "Zooropa," I've been watching U2 from the sidelines and the last record they did that really "spoke" to me was probably "The Unforgettable Fart." I understood the world had a new supergroup with "The Joshua Tree" and that the boys actually started to believe their own press with "Rattle And Hum." Prior to that, Bono's ego was always the fifth member, but this member always seemed restricted to live performances.
Of the U2 debate and harsh tone: Can't we all just smoke a bowl, listen to "The Number of the Beast" in the basement, and forget about the atomic bomb for a while? I'll admit digging the "I Will Follow" reprise on SNL last week at the end of the show.
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

don't much of anything about my bloody valentine. didn't sound like my cup of tea so i wrote them off.
DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy »

Batchy, that's awesome that you work with Kevin Shields's cousin. Personally, if I weren't married, I'd date her just to say I'd dated Kevin Shields's cousin. Can you imagine holidays in that household?

Aunt Shelagh: "So Kevin, how's the new masterpiece coming?"

Kevin Shields: "Still working on it. Yesterday, I put the tent back up in the ol' studio. Still searching for that ever-elusive guitar sound, of crystalline sledgehammers."

Aunt: "Really, that's nice. And the reissues of the Creation My Bloody Valentine albums and EPs?"

KS: "Eh, not as much. Still second-guessing my back catalog of work. The reissues will probably be ready for release in 2010, as long as the oxide doesn't wear off the master tape."

Aunt: "Brilliant, Kevin."
Batchy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Batchy »

DJMurphy wrote:I'd date her just to say I'd dated Kevin Shields's cousin"
We did kind of get it on a couple of times after some drunken work nights out but it never came to anything thanks to the "any day now some supermodel genius woman is going to change my life completely and i'll just know that she's the one i've been waiting for and all of my friends are going to be sick when they check out how hot she is and be bowled over by her amazingly incisve, original and witty criticisms" chromosome on the male genome. Although, i think the name of the genome is actually longer and is responsbile for the complete lack of reality that most young men in their 20's experience seeing as it takes up so much brain space.

Although i turned 30 on Thursday so i guess i'm officially "sensible" now!?
Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

Batchy wrote: Although, i think the name of the genome is actually longer and is responsbile for the complete lack of reality that most young men in their 20's experience seeing as it takes up so much brain space.

Although i turned 30 on Thursday so i guess i'm officially "sensible" now!?
'In a young man's mind it's a simple world
There's a little room for music and the rest is girls'

Happy birthday, Batchy! Now that you're 30, you can start thinking about mortgages and golf pants. ;)