Pitchfork/Chicago get big nod from NY

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Kristy
GLONO Team Member

Pitchfork/Chicago get big nod from NY

Post by Kristy »

http://www.observer.com/pages/frontpage3.asp

"Can New York be losing its grip on hipness?" asks the writer, but
the rest of the article is more interesting. This article gives Pitchfork
a LOT of respect, much of it deserved. But does a negative review
from those guys really stall sales? According to the evidence here, yes.
Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

Pitchfork’s relaunch early next year will be a big moment for the site, which appears to be at a crossroads: Will it risk its hipster credibility and keep growing and growing? Will it topple on itself? Or will it be snatched up by some conglomerate and morphed into yet another extension of a multimedia venture?
I say, yes.

Interesting article. Frankly, I respect and abhor Pitchfork at the same time. I love their passion and dedication, but there's also a kind of 'Darkness At Noon' vibe to them that sort of works against their ethos. Absolute power and all that.
Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sugarcubes Forever »

At this point, Mr. Schreiber scoffs at the idea that he could be bought out. "People come back to us again and again because they know we’re not corrupted,"
Depends on what your definition of "corrupted" is. I've long since found Pitchfok to be too fucking painful to read. Too damn full of themselves. Every review is buried below 5 paragraphs of Indy snobbishness. I just can't stand getting my reviews super saturated with all their in-joke irony.

Fuck Irony. If I want Irony I'll buy the Seinfeld DVDs.
dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by dieblucasdie »

I go to pitchfork every day, read the news, and leave. A nasty review from them does hurt a band, but not always fatally. Hence the inexplicable persistence of Joan of Arc.
steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o »

I'm kind of torn on Pitchfork. On one hand, their reviews usually reek of pretentiousness, but I'd be lying if I said the reviews play no part in my either buying or ignoring a new CD.
But their news section has really been slacking lately. I'm nowhere near having my finger on the pulse of indie rock, but when I'm hearing about stuff three days before if appears on Pitchfork, it makes we wonder what is going on here. They need to get on the ball with that.
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:
At this point, Mr. Schreiber scoffs at the idea that he could be bought out. "People come back to us again and again because they know we’re not corrupted,"
Depends on what your definition of "corrupted" is. I've long since found Pitchfok to be too fucking painful to read. Too damn full of themselves. Every review is buried below 5 paragraphs of Indy snobbishness. I just can't stand getting my reviews super saturated with all their in-joke irony.

couldn't agree more. i go there to skim the news. i never read the reviews. the writing just isn't that good and frankly i just don't get off on "literary" masterbation. i'll skim reviews in magnet maybe. more often i read this board, hear what's new, listen to snippets, then decide. or if a band is new to me, amg gets my ear and i ask around for people's opinions. i just don't care enough about being hip.

guess i got more going on in my life than to care about what other people think about what i buy/listen to...bigger fish to fry.
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

this is true. still i will read reviews on pitchfork, metacritic, and anywhere else simply because it is usually a cd that i have already purchased and love. if they like it great if they don't they don't. i try to fill my internet time up with things other than illcit stuff. what i never understood though was how they can listen to a cd once and they form an opinion. some cds you don't fully get until a few spins later.
dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by dieblucasdie »

Now, I know Travistan is no Emergency & I, but come on, boys, a 0.0? Someone didn't get asked to their senior prom...
Coopstar
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Coopstar »

dieblucasdie wrote:Now, I know Travistan is no Emergency & I, but come on, boys, a 0.0? Someone didn't get asked to their senior prom...
Yeah - I saw that too. Kind of suprised me, but the review made me laugh. Pitchfork is a good site. There - I've said it. I must admit, when they put the indie kid spin on pop singles its pretty entertaining. Does anyone remember that Beastie Boys review a few months back that got them in alot of hot water?
Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Tim »

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:[quote

I totally agree with that. I tend to want to scream the word "asshole" when i read their reviews. They certainly love using their Thesaurus.

Also, after reading that article, if I hear the word "hipster" one more time, I think I might vomit.