Underground Hip Hop

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Post by Proptronics » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:29 pm

Which one do you dig? I've heard the second is more rhythmic.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:32 pm

Proptronics wrote:Which one do you dig? I've heard the second is more rhythmic.
I actually prefer "Boy in Da Corner" over the 2nd one. The second one seems to be leaning towards more industry-standard hip hop. I thought the first one was much more originial. But you might like the second one better if you don't like all the blips and bleeps.

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Ad » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:03 pm

Have any of you Madvillain fans seen this video for "All Caps"?

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2534990?htv=12

I just stumbled across it and it's totally cool. (I haven't seen any MF Doom videos before.)

As for Dizzee Rascal--I like both albums. However, I listen to the 2nd album a lot more than I ever listened to the first. I guess it's more commercial, but it's still a far-cry from any hip-hop being played on the radio or MTV over here.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Lep » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:00 am

I quite like Soul Position, which I've just found out about, thanks to Gorilla vs Bear's blog.
Stuff to listen to:
- live on KEXP (Webjayed).
- two tracks on download.com.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:47 am

Since this thread has been suddenly revived, I'll throw in some stuff I've been listening to lately:

CYNE - Cyne Collection, this is one of the nicest things I've heard in forever. Seriously awesome.

Ghostface - Take your pick. I like Pretty Toney best myself.

Jay Dilla - Donuts. There's like 30-something tracks, so they're all under 2 minutes more or less. Most are great, some aren't.

Nujabes - Metaphorical Music, Modal Soul. My new favorite producer.

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Post by Johnny Loftus » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:52 pm

Dabrye, Two/Three - some of Detroit's best underground talent (Invicible, Guilty Simpson, Wajeed) and nat'l notables (Doom, Vast Aire) working over Dabyre's usual genius beats.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:59 pm

I've been looking for Two/Three for a while, Johnny. I love One/Three. Glad to hear the sequel lives up.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Post by hebrew hammer » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:16 pm

As an MF Doom fan, I have a question: Does anybody own the elusive Operation Doomsday? I haven't heard much of it, but everyone says it's a masterpice. Is this true?

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:35 pm

hebrew hammer wrote:As an MF Doom fan, I have a question: Does anybody own the elusive Operation Doomsday? I haven't heard much of it, but everyone says it's a masterpice. Is this true?
I own it. This might be considered sacriledge by some, but I don't consider it a masterpiece (Madvillainy on the other hand, is). His rhyme style is the same, although the beats are a little smoother, more R&B based. You can hear the youth in his voice, as opposed to the worn voice he sports nowadays. It also keeps in tact his knack for narrative interludes and weaving a comic book-esque story into the music. It's definitely worth owning, but I wouldn't consider it far and away his best.