Former Member of Pantera Shot and Killed Onstage

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

foxforcefive
GLONO Board Playa

Post by foxforcefive »

Russ:

You've got it exactly backward. The kid (Meredith Hunter) had a gun (and probably a knife as well), the Hell's Angels had knives. They stabbed him dead. Rent "Gimme Shelter" again -- you can clearly make out Hunter's gun when Mick slows down the footage.

anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by anothermonkey »

Very sad news. I was a big fan of their first two albums in junior high/early high school, and actually met Pantera at a record store signing. Everyone was extremely cool except Anselmo, who just seemed like an insecure tough guy. I remember thinking Dimebag and Vinnie were the nicest in particular. RIP Dimebag.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede »

The people that I've spoken to have all indicated that Darrell was a nice, soft spoken stoner. He did suggest recently that Phil was struggling with heroin as did a member of the band Gwar, who stated that Phil solicited him for some smack after a recent Gwar gig that saw Phil in attendence. Just last week, Phil went on the offensive and made the following comments:
"He (Darrell) would attack me, vocally. And just knowing that he was so much smaller than me I could kill him like a fuckin' piece of vapor, you know, he would turn into vapour — his chin would, at least, if I fuckin' smacked it. And he knows that. The world should know that. So physically, of course, he deserves to be beaten severely."
Kinda sounds like the two had some issues and that Phil had thought about physical violence. Phil went on to say:
"I think I proved clearly to everybody what I was in PANTERA! And what I was was a unique, unbelievably magnetic frontman that had not been around since the days of Robert Plant and Ozzy Osbourne. I am one in a million. . . I have staying power! I have a devoted following that would do anything for me! Anything that I say."
You're hardly any of those aforementioned artists, Phil. But whatever. No matter what the comments were, I'm sure that he didn't mean for someone to go out and kill Dime. He's probably very upset about it and worried at the idea that someone could have done this out of intentional reprocussion. At the end of the day, it was another example of a wackjob that was able to get his hands on a gun.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

this phil seems awfully high on himself. sad event all around. and right before christmas too.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by russ »

foxforcefive wrote:Russ:

You've got it exactly backward. The kid (Meredith Hunter) had a gun (and probably a knife as well), the Hell's Angels had knives. They stabbed him dead. Rent "Gimme Shelter" again -- you can clearly make out Hunter's gun when Mick slows down the footage.
I own GIMME SHELTER, and isnt that shiny thing in the freeze frame Meredith Hunter a knife? If I am wrong, I apolgize, but I swore I remember it was a gun...I do have to watch it again, its such a great, but creepy movie.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by trainwreck2 »

"I will knock you down with the pretentious punch that is my arty farty spoken word!"
worpswede wrote:I once saw two meatheads egging Henry Rollins into a physical altercation while he was on-stage, but they were "packing" and Hank put them in their place with the strongest weapon: words.

hausofjl
GLONO Board Playa

dbd

Post by hausofjl »

the best analogy that i could draw was that this was the 9/11 of the live music scene. shows will never be the same and the politicians will use this as a scapegoat in a similar vein to columbine, janet jackson, etc. i just hope security doesnt get too nutty, let us enjoy our rock n' roll.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by trainwreck2 »

Im just surprised that it was not Phil who got shot...wasnt he the shit talker ? Dimebag always looked like a big goofy metalhead while Phil was wearing Afrikaans swastikas in metal mags...
worpswede wrote: Just last week, Phil went on the offensive and made the following comments:
"He (Darrell) would attack me, vocally. And just knowing that he was so much smaller than me I could kill him like a fuckin' piece of vapor, you know, he would turn into vapour — his chin would, at least, if I fuckin' smacked it. And he knows that. The world should know that. So physically, of course, he deserves to be beaten severely."
Kinda sounds like the two had some issues and that Phil had thought about physical violence. Phil went on to say:
"I think I proved clearly to everybody what I was in PANTERA! And what I was was a unique, unbelievably magnetic frontman that had not been around since the days of Robert Plant and Ozzy Osbourne. I am one in a million. . . I have staying power! I have a devoted following that would do anything for me! Anything that I say."
You're hardly any of those aforementioned artists, Phil. But whatever. No matter what the comments were, I'm sure that he didn't mean for someone to go out and kill Dime. He's probably very upset about it and worried at the idea that someone could have done this out of intentional reprocussion. At the end of the day, it was another example of a wackjob that was able to get his hands on a gun.

hausofjl
GLONO Board Playa

btw

Post by hausofjl »

the new beLLe and sebastian song Your Cover's Blown is insane, a neo classic 6 minute long masterp ece. The closest thing i can compare it to is Bohemian Rhapsody

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: btw

Post by Barabajagal »

hausofjl wrote:the new beLLe and sebastian song Your Cover's Blown is insane, a neo classic 6 minute long masterp ece. The closest thing i can compare it to is Bohemian Rhapsody
OK. Thanks for sharing. But we were...um...nevermind.