Songs The Lord Taught Us

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Jan 09, 2002 1:21 pm

Just picked up the seminal Cramps cd - man, does it get any better than this? How did youth culture go from this cool, fucked-up, Alex Chilton-produced psycho-billy to crap like Slipknot? Kids today, I swear.

Everyone needs to rush out and get The Cramps right now!

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Post by Proptronics » Thu Jan 10, 2002 8:19 am

I have been meaning to pick up a Cramps album. I've heard that the band became fairly lame in the early 80's, though. Any recommendations for the "Best of Artist" album?

Thanks,

Nathan

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Ad » Thu Jan 10, 2002 11:16 am

Well, Songs the Lord Taught Us is definitely a good place to start. That or Bad Music for Bad People.You won't be let down.

The Cramps mid-80s and beyond stuff isn't that bad. They just sort of pulled a Ramones--released a few brilliant and totally original albums and then just kept releasing the same albums over and over again. A lot of it is still pretty good, though.

I've been a fan since high school but only saw them for the first time about four years ago. They sounded great and were absolute freaks--Poison Ivy gyrated with her guitar the entire show while Lux crawled around in skintight shiny metallic pants, licked Ivy's boots, fellated the mic, etc. That's entertainment!

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Jan 11, 2002 9:21 am

I'll second that - 'Songs The Lord taught Us' pretty well sums up The Cramps. Technically, you don't need many more, unless you dig 'em. But they are incredibly fun and twisted in almost everything they've put out!

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Post by Proptronics » Fri Jan 11, 2002 12:57 pm

Thanks guys!

Chris G
Dotman

Post by Chris G » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:36 am

Proptronics wrote:I have been meaning to pick up a Cramps album. I've heard that the band became fairly lame in the early 80's, though. Any recommendations for the "Best of Artist" album?

Thanks,

Nathan
Lame in the early 80s? You've been hangin' with the wrong crowd. They started off great, and they've aged like a fine wine.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Lep » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:20 am

Cramps! That reminds me, I gotta go back to the underrated musicians thread.

Songs is indeed fine, but for a first-timer and maybe one-timer, I'd say Bad Music for Bad People.

What album is "Ultra Twist" on? I saw them do that on TV a few years ago and it's a great song.

Chris G
Dotman

Post by Chris G » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:38 am

Knew I could bring this old thread back from the dead.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:39 am

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:Just picked up the seminal Cramps cd - man, does it get any better than this? How did youth culture go from this cool, fucked-up, Alex Chilton-produced psycho-billy to crap like Slipknot? Kids today, I swear.

Everyone needs to rush out and get The Cramps right now!
At the time that CD was originally issued the Cramps were NOT an example of the the prevailing Youth Culture. I think they were cool, but it's not fair to compare them (a niche underground act) with mass produced drivil like Slipknot. There are plenty of Indie acts today making great music that would be a better comparison of quality to those older Cramps albums..

I believe that when the Cramps released this album the number one song that kids were listening to was "Step By Step" performed by New Kids On The Block.

Somehow, I don't think that Youth Culture has fallen very far in 14 years.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:40 am

Wow, did I just sound like an indie music snob or what?

Sorry for that.

Peace Out