Bands you're NOT supposed to dig but cant help getting into

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by thousandfold »

Boz Scaggs is awesome. There's no denying the blue-eyed soul goodness of Silk Degrees. And his album from a few years ago, Some Change, is excellent start-to-finish.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal »

DJMurphy wrote: some Elton John (I mean the uncool stuff, too)
After being forced to see the Lion King about 40 times I've succumbed to liking "Can You Feel the Love Tonight." One of my life goals is to karaoke it someday.

I just love Elton's voice, even if he's singing crap.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Post by Proptronics »

Even "Circle Of Life"? That songs sounds like it feels when you try to pick a scab off that's not ready to fall off yet.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by nobodygirl »

DJMurphy wrote: I'm having Deja Vu, Jake. Haven't we done guilty pleasuresthreads before? And before that? And even further back? Yep, makes you wanna take a shower to wash off the stink of uncool, don't it?
Holy crap, D. Phillips, after looking at those threads you've been pimping George Michael forever, haven't you? It's okay, I sort of love you for it, like a lot.
I went through a brief Matthew-McConaughey-except-not-naked-or-with-weed phase and spent a LOT of time learning the drum parts to "Freedom." And I unabashedly love the rest of Listen Without Prejudice and almost his entire back catalogue. Mr. Michael only lost me when he recently did Oprah with that one song. Not so much. He and his boyfriend were awful cute, though.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips »

nobodygirl wrote:
Holy crap, D. Phillips, after looking at those threads you've been pimping George Michael forever, haven't you? It's okay, I sort of love you for it, like a lot.
I went through a brief Matthew-McConaughey-except-not-naked-or-with-weed phase and spent a LOT of time learning the drum parts to "Freedom." And I unabashedly love the rest of Listen Without Prejudice and almost his entire back catalogue. Mr. Michael only lost me when he recently did Oprah with that one song. Not so much. He and his boyfriend were awful cute, though.
What can I say? I am a fan.

And please, call me Phil.

Coopstar
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Coopstar »

I would have responded earlier, but that TK pic scared me away. Since this is not your normal guilty pleasures topic...

Three Dog Night (their version of "One Man Band" is retardagood)

The Frogs ("Hot Cock Annie" is a great song - I don't care whatcha say)

Also the usual suspects: Journey, Boston, various 80's Euro-trash....

OK....

Yes. I am a closet Yes fan. I fit the criteria:
1. I own "Tormato" on vinyl
2. I can sit through "The Ancient" from "Tales From Topographic Oceans"
3. I own at least one of their live albums post-1974

Also I kinda, sorta dig ELP. (ducks) But only "Tarkus." (ducks again)

Sheesh. I feel better. Kinda like having this huge weight lifted off your chest. I am gonna go fly a kite.... By the way anyone hear Trail Of Dead's cover of Genesis' "Back in NYC" yet? Kinda disturbing. In a good way... What??!?

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 »

Well, if bubblegum isn't hokey enough for you, I also like Seals and Croft and Neil Diamond, but nothing post "Jonathan Livingston Seagull." I also like some prog rock, and feel there's nothing wrong with liking 70's and 80's metal, but no false metal like that Warrant and Poison shit. Got "Number of the Beast" for Christmas, and I'd love to get my hands on another copy of "Denim and Leather."

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede »

jaimoe0 wrote:I'd love to get my hands on another copy of "Denim and Leather."
I got mine cheap through Amazon. It still rocks twenty years later. I also went snooping around their website (they're still at it, still somewhat popular in Europe) and listened to some of their latter day stuff, long after I had forgotten about them. It wasn't as bad as I expected.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 »

worpswede wrote: It wasn't as bad as I expected.
When I got my hands on Iron Maiden's latest "Dance of Death" last year, or maybe the year before, I wasn't expecting much, but it thoroughly kicked my ass. Good to know that the British school of New Metal can still soundly kick your head in.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by trainwreck2 »

Cock Sparrer and Angelic Upstarts
they get lumped in as Oi bands which I think indie rockers or whatever aren't supposed to like this "skinhead" music but the bands frikkin rock...