Bands you're NOT supposed to dig but cant help getting into

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:10 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:Well, I've already admitted to liking Journey and Jethro Tull, so what do I got to lose?

I also love:
Barenaked Ladies (at least Gordon & Stunt)
The Monkees
Judas Priest
Bachman Turner Overdive

Now I must go and listen to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs to compensate.
Barenaked Ladies? Say it ain't so!

There's nothing wrong with loving the Monkees. Nine Times Blue, Can You Dig It, Circle Sky, and As We Go Along (feat. Neil Young and Stephen Stills on guitars!) are some of my favorite songs.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:15 pm

D. Phillips wrote:I know I'm supposed to be but I am not ashamed to say I am a big George Michael fan. Great voice and a very funny interviewee.
I'll admit, great voice and public persona just don't like his songs.
nbg wrote:I offer this advice to anyone who is heartbroken and done with boys (for the moment): There are few greater pleasures than singing along to "Stronger" at the top of your lungs in a car and displaying your wicked sit-dance traffic moves. And someday, I will find someone somewhere who realizes this.
During my break up I took a RunFit class at the Y that played Cher's "Believe in Love" (or whatever it's called). It played the same role and great to run to.

Cher and Tom Jones - love their voices. Don't know about the cool factor, tho'

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Post by Proptronics » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:20 pm

Phish
REO Speedwagon
Poison
Billy Joel

and I'll be damned if I didn't love that Michelle Branch song a few years ago that went something like "cause you're everywhere to me..."

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:25 pm

oooh! I'd have to say REO, too. And perhaps a touch of Kid Rock. Sorry!

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Post by Proptronics » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:35 pm

Is it lame to like Marilyn Manson? Simon & Garfunkle?

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:53 pm

I'm a closet Deadhead. Ain't that enough?
How about a fondness for Phish?
And for the past decade, I've finally admitted to actually enjoying heavy metal. Initially, metal and punk shared a common thread for me. Then I started listening to rock crits and accepted their belief that metal was stupid and just kidsstuff. I sold all of those metal records in college and replaced them with the obligatory indie stuff. Now, I don't give a shit. I started to replace those albums that I sold to the used record store for pennies on the dollar. They include:
Saxon-Denim & Leather
Iron Maiden-Killers & The Number Of The Beast
Judas Priest-British Steel & Screaming For Vengeance
Dio (including Rainbow-era Dio/Blackmore)
April Wine
Def Leppard (pre-Hysteria)
Scorpions
Is this the point where I admit I actually liked Accept's "Balls To The Wall" and "Metal Heart" albums? Udo was the shit...The little shit.
Do I go further and state that the entire Motley Crue reunion has me seriously looking at re-purchasing "Shout At The Devil" again?
Can I confess to owning every Missing Persons album?
Ditto The Knack.
Did I lose you at "Grateful Dead?"
You had me at "Hello."

beginthebegin
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by beginthebegin » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:06 pm

I have an unquenchable love for big 70s arena rock, namely Journey (and even Steve Perry's solo work). Boston and Rush too. I'm not ashamed at all. I'll crank up Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) any time.

I am, however, a bit ashamed to express love for the first Boyz II Men album. Just cause that shit takes me back to the playgrounds. (I'm even more ashamed to say that I've seen them in concert twice).

And, while I'm at it, does anyone else think the world's been pretty hard on Hootie?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:07 pm

metal fucking rules.

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Ad » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:08 pm

I like a lot of totally gay 80s stuff, like Visage, Human League, etc. And Soft Cell. I love Soft Cell. I'm not sure if it's sort of cool to like these bands or not, but I do.

And I can't help but like Green Day.

I already admitted to liking the new Gwen Stefani song (not album).

And I once heard Grey Does Matter and sort of liked it.

I want to like George Michael's music because he seems like a very cool guy. I just don't.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:14 pm

Ad wrote:I like a lot of totally gay 80s stuff, like Visage, Human League, etc. And Soft Cell. I love Soft Cell. I'm not sure if it's sort of cool to like these bands or not, but I do.
I love that stuff, I didn't bring it up because I didn't think it was a big deal. Yeah, Soft Cell, OMD, Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, Electronic (Bernard Sumner/Johnny Marr), that's some brilliant music. Too bad its been turned into a joke by all that "I Love the 80s" crap. People start thinking if it has a synthesizer in it, its supposed to be a joke.

And I can't say I like metal ala Scorpions or Accept, but I love's me some metal. I never grew out of Slayer and Iron Maiden. Even Pantera has its moments.