Britpop

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

mydearmoose

Britpop

Post by mydearmoose » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:37 am

Hi everyone
I'm a music student from Norway who's doing a big final paper on britpop - and I really could use some views from the people who may actually have experienced the madness. If you think you've got some good answers to these questions, please write, write, write! Or give me a tip 'bout where to find people who would know.
- Was it really a musical factor that gathered bands like Pulp, Oasis, Blur and Suede under the same category? What defines the MUSIC genre britpop?
- What do each of these four bands represent? What were their roles? Did they attract different groups of people?
- How were the bands' attitudes towards the britpop basis, the indie genre?
Thank you folks, for all answers!

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:35 pm

i was arguing this on another board about the sundays and whether they are britpop. what do you all think?

Coopstar
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Coopstar » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:35 am

I can probably help you out with the first question - or at least point you in the right direction. There are some other regular posters on this board that could give you some good answers. It is my belief that the "britpop explosion" of the erly 90's was a result of a few different things. I think that that scene became popular just as the euro-trash synth pop groups (post new wave) on up, had figuratively blown their load. These new groups were all guitar driven with layered melodies and were vastly different from the drum machine groups that dominated the radio at the time. It seems to me that these bands fastened themselves onto another guitar driven scene from the past, which was the purely English mod-revival movement from a decade previous. Also, being from Manchester (as I think most of the successful groups were) had something to do with it - however I am not preciesely sure how the location figures into where that sound was cultivated. Just my 2 cents - I am probably wrong, so don't quote me. That is pretty much all I know about it.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:28 am

In many ways, I see the entire "Britpop" thing as a reaction towards what was prevalent in music throughout the 80's. In other words: what Coopstar said.
But I've got to confess that when I saw this thread, the first band that popped into my head were The Stone Roses. Not even a mention. And I've got to suggest that none of the bands mention in this thread would not have been as successful without the Rose's contribution. Like good supernovas, they shot their creative load in one excellent debut and then burned out.
They contain all of the elements of the genre: handsome snots that play music with a close eye on 60's British psychedelia and modern drug chemistry. Best of all, you can shake your ass to it. It's always a good thing when songs with guitars make the white folks boogie.
I do have some issue with the production value of some of the Britpop essentials. Often, it sounds timid and washed down of all bite. I hear things like T-Rex or Sweet and how they fucking rocked. Then I hear a Blur song and curse the producer. After all, a fairly good Britpop band once said "get back to where you once belong."
Out of those four bands, I draw the most connection with Oasis (lots of snot, lots of guitars, lots of drama) and have no connection with Suede. I honestly couldn't name a song by them, but I can tell you Oasis asked the question "Where were you while we were getting high?" Classic.

Sweet Bird Of Truth
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Sweet Bird Of Truth » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:39 am

grounded5am wrote:i was arguing this on another board about the sundays and whether they are britpop. what do you all think?
Not the way that most journalists define Britpop. Too jangly, not enough beats. Doesn't stop Reading, Writing & Arithmetic from being one of my favorites, though.

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by dieblucasdie » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:56 am

I'd also argue that they weren't only reacting against the new-wave/house/dance-oriented stuff, but also offering themselves as counterpoints to the whole "shoegazer" thing that Ride, Chapterhouse, My Bloody Valentine, etc were peddling. Remember, these bands had already brought back the guitar in a big way, Britpop's contribution was to cut out the "layers" of sound and just rock out. (Though, in the typically pansy British style of rocking out).

In conclusion:

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Lep » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:57 pm

Coopstar wrote:I think that that scene became popular just as the euro-trash synth pop groups (post new wave) on up, had figuratively blown their load.
I, and I'm sure many others, thank you profoundly for saying figuratively when you meant figuratively, rather than literally, as has been the case with literally thousands of others.

heraclitus

Post by heraclitus » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:35 pm

I think it's funny...early Blur such as Parklife, the Great Escape is vintage Britpop, and I don't care for it that much. But their last 2 albums, 13 and Think Tank, have drastically gone away from that. They're so good, esp. 13, Blur's become one of my favorite bands. I definitely wouldn't call them Britpop anymore, unless you'd be willing to call Radiohead Britpop.

Sweet Bird Of Truth
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Sweet Bird Of Truth » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:09 pm

Personally, I think Parklife transcends Britpop like Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman outfit transcended a shit show. Blur are quite good since Parklife.