It's all about the OC!

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:12 pm

nobodygirl wrote:
Yeah, why don't you come out from behind your pocket protector and say that TO MY FACE, NERD?
That's it, you're gonna get it....I'm telling my mom.

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by dieblucasdie » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:37 pm

You see, there are two kinds of people in this world: Jocks, and nerds. As a jock, it is my duty to make fun of nerds.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:07 pm

i'm a hippie though. where does that leave me?

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:42 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:
You suck. :)

That movie rocked. If I had to rank the 5 finished SW films from best to worst, it would be third.
It's hard for me to dig a movie where I think the main characters are fucking pains in the ass who deserve to die unless the movie in question is one really fine piece of cinema, which episode II wasn't. However, to the person who criticized it for too many special effects, I thought that was half the point.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by nobodygirl » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:08 pm

I am so smart!
I am so smart!
I am so smart!
I am so smart!
S-M-R-T!
I mean, S-M-A-R-T...

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:16 pm

that is sort of the point. but not wall to wall effects. it's like the whole movie is effects effects effects.

Coopstar
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Coopstar » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:36 am

Interesting that there is a SW "discussion" on GloNo. I feel like soon I will only have to visit one MB. Yeah - I'm a geek. Anyway - this is interesting as one of the reasons I have always been attracted to those films is b/c of the music. Seeing as this is a music (albeit rock) board I'll contribute this story for any JW fans out there.

Back when I was in hs, I had a good buddy of mine that could slay at the violin. He was a prodigy of sorts and no one outside of my group of friends would give this guy the time of day. I told him once that when he got famous he should get John Williams autograph for me - just as a joke. Well 10 years later, after we had lost contact for many years, some of my old high school friends that still live in town had me over for dinner and this guy was there. Turns out he went on to some professional arts school after hs and has been principle violin player for some major orchastras (like Philly and even Chicago at one point). He ended up dating John Williams niece and remembered the whole autograph thing (which I had completely forgotten about). He told me that Mr. Williams guest conducts with his orchestra from time to time. He then presented me with an autographed Star Wars score from the man himself along with a note for me from an old inside joke I had with the guy about the Miles Davis' Blue Note recording of "Autumn Leaves" (yeah, our humor is strange). It was unreal! I have it stored now inside my vinyl gatefold Star Wars soundtrack from '77. Pretty cool I must say. From his stories it sounds as though Mr. Williams is a class act. I must say, that original score with the London Symphony is still really, really cool. Just my contribution - now back to nerd bashing. Carry on, carry on....
Last edited by Coopstar on Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heitzie
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Heitzie » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:37 am

I love the original 3 movies, especially "Empire", which scarred me horribly as a little boy. For 3 years the biggest question in my mind at all times was "Is Han Solo gonna be OK?"

The new movies achieve only one feat in my eyes, being able to suck and blow at the same time. I will say that Attack of the Clones is only a mildy rotten movie, with Phantom Menace being absolute garbage. I feel bad for McGregon, Jackson, even Hayden - because who can blame someone for wanting to be in a Star Wars movie? Who would guess they would be so awful? Potman I have always seen as a bad actror, but all the others have been good in other roles.

I know what you mean by the effects - in the battle scene that takes up the last 3rd of "AOTC" there is simply so much going on, and so much crammed into one shat, that it's hard to follow. And don't get me started on the 3rd grade dialog in these new films, or the way George keeps re-writing and re-shooting the original films to make up for the continuity lapses in the new ones. As wella s crap like midichlorines, baby Greedo, etc etc.

See, I'm as big a dork as you grounded5am but I'm a bitter dork....

My grades:

Star Wars - A-
Star Wars Holiday Special F
Empire - A+
Return of the Jedi B
Ewok Adventure C+
Ewoks Battle for Endor B-
Phantom Menace D-
Attack of the Clones D
Revenge of the Sith - I'll catch it on HBO in 6 months

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by dieblucasdie » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:47 am

Natalie Portman is great in "Garden State" (that movie would be really really emo and annoying if she didn't lighten it up), "Closer," and "Heat." Hayden has promise. "Life as a House" was tripe, but he was purty darn good in "Shattered Glass."

And, in my mind, The Holiday special goes so far below F it goes back to A, then back down to F again.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:41 am

the funny thing i didn't really get into star wars until the phantom meanance. once it came on video i was hooked. yeah i grew up with star wars triliogy and saw two of them. in theatres no less. but they all got so overplayed on tv that i grew tired of them. i met someone who also like star wars but hates phatom meanance.

it was then i finally saw empire. i had only seen bits up until then. as time went i started liking the old star wars more and the new one sucked. it just didn't hold up well over time. attack was much better and still holds up pretty well. not near as good as empire but better that return. neither of us can stand the ewoks. anyway that's my perspective.