White Stripes: Get Behind Me Satan

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

White Stripes: Get Behind Me Satan

Post by Jake » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:09 pm

WHITE STRIPES 'SATANIC' RETURN
Plans for live shows are also coming together. Speaking recently in the US, Jack White told the LA Times that they are planning “events” rather than traditional concerts to launch the album. The first time they play in England will be at the Glastonbury Festival in June.

He said: "First we're going to play where we are not well known. Then if we have time, we will play New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago. Frankly, we are waiting for technology to advance in the United States before we attempt to perform this record live there."
Technology? I'd like to see the context of this quote but the LA Times doesn't have it online yet.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:27 pm

I think it was probably a joke. Either way, that's the raddest album title I've ever heard.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by amighty » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:49 pm

Man those guys (you know what I mean) are fast! Album wrapped up in a couple of weeks and then it's actually coming out right away. I guess if even half the musicians in your band can play their instruments like maniacs it really tightens up the whole protools process.

Can't wait, got 'em on my Soulseek wishlist already.

drizzle3

Post by drizzle3 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:16 pm

hmm.....I see Jack has read his bible....Matthew 16:23

Wasn't this mentioned in the Exorcist?

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:29 am

Awesome! Can't wait for this to drop. Been too long without a WS album.

With any luck it'll fool all the fundies into thinking it's a Xtian rock album.

Chris G
Dotman

Post by Chris G » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:44 am

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of this release. I'm looking forward to it.

Where was this recorded at?

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by dieblucasdie » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:01 am

And what of potential tour dates in support of the album with no name? According to V2, "The band will tour South America and Eastern Europe first, no U.S. tour dates are confirmed." A handful of summer concerts have been committed to as of this writing, however, and include a trio of Mexican shows this May, followed by a set at the 2005 Music Midtown Festival in Atlanta on June 10. Also on the roster for the annual summer fest are Pixies, Lou Reed, Bloc Party, Coheed and Cambria, the Killers, Keane, Louis XIV, and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Southern accents:

05-11 Monterrey, Mexico - Fundidora Amphitheatre de Coca Cola
05-13 Guadalajara, Mexico - Foro Alterno
05-14 Mexico City, Mexico - Palacio De Los Deportes
06-10 Atlanta, GA - Music Midtown Festival
From pfork, a while back, so I think the weird tour stuff is true. Details on the recording of it are sketchy, only that they did it in about five weeks and Jack produced it himself.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:31 am

Chris G wrote:Where was this recorded at?
According to the extremely reliable NME, it "was recorded at Jack White’s home in the space of two weeks." No mention of where it was mixed and mastered.

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Tim » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:37 am

Yeah I can't wait for this!

I'm going to try to see them at Music Midtown in Atlanta in June, but tickets are $75. Not so bad, considering you can see Lou Reed, Tom Petty, and the Pixies too. Of course that doesn't factor in the $7.50 cup of beer. They raised the concert price up $20 from last year!

Usually the Music Midtown concert line up isn't that great. This year it is taking alot of the "indie scene" in...including everyone's favorite....Louis XIV! haha.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:42 am

Fan site whitestripes.net has the full text of that LA Times article, and there's not much more info in it. They don't follow up on what the fuck he means by "waiting for technology." Huh?
The yet untitled CD, which was recorded at Jack White's Third Man Studios in Detroit, will be released June 14. There are no guest performers and all the songs were written by White.