White Stripes: Get Behind Me Satan

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by dieblucasdie » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:46 pm

update on pitchfork:

Finally, complete details have been released about the new White Stripes album, Get Behind Me Satan. This album, their fifth, will be released on June 7 in the U.S., and one day earlier in the UK. The album was recorded at Jack White's Third Man Studios in Detroit, mixed in Memphis at Ardent Studios, and mastered in New York at Masterdisk. The album was written, produced, and mixed by Jack White. All of the songs were written on piano, acoustic guitar, and marimba. In a press release, White described the record as an exploration of "characters and the ideal of truth."

Here, in all its glory, is the tracklist for Get Behind Me Satan:

01 Blue Orchid
02 The Nurse
03 My Doorbell
04 Forever For Her (Is Over For Me)
05 Little Ghost
06 The Denial Twist
07 White Moon
08 Instinct Blues
09 Passive Manipulation
10 Take, Take, Take
11 As Ugly As I Seem
12 Red Rain
13 I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet)
No electric guitar! Holy fuck! No drums! Is Meg on this album at all?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:50 pm

dieblucasdie wrote:No electric guitar! Holy fuck! No drums! Is Meg on this album at all?
Says they were "written on piano, acoustic guitar, and marimba," not performed exclusively on them.

By the way, those are some great sounding song titles.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:03 pm

Here's the complete text of the press release from V2:
Subject: Official White Stripes press release

APRIL 12th 2005
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

THE WHITE STRIPES WILL RELEASE THEIR NEW ALBUM -- THE BAND'S FIFTH -- ON THIRD MAN RECORDS/ V2 RECORDS ON JUNE 7TH 2005. RECORDED IN DETROIT AT JACK WHITE'S THIRD MAN STUDIOS, MIXED IN MEMPHIS AT ARDENT STUDIOS AND MASTERED IN NEW YORK CITY AT MASTERDISK, THE ALBUM WILL BE TITLED GET BEHIND ME SATAN.

THE ALBUM CONTAINS 13 ORIGINAL SONGS, ALL OF THEM WRITTEN ON PIANO, ACOUSTIC GUITAR AND MARIMBA. THE FIRST SINGLE IS TITLED "BLUE ORCHID." GET BEHIND ME SATAN WAS WRITTEN, PRODUCED AND MIXED BY JACK WHITE.

JACK WHITE DESCRIBES THE RECORD AS AN EXPLORATION OF "CHARACTERS AND THE IDEAL OF TRUTH."

THE WHITE STRIPES START A WORLD TOUR ON MAY 11TH IN MEXICO. THEY WILL PERFORM AT THE GLASTONBURY FESTIVAL IN ENGLAND IN JUNE AND WILL COMMENCE A TOUR OF THE U.S AT A LATER DATE -- DETAILS TO BE ANNOUNCED.

TRACK LISTING AS FOLLOWS:

1. Blue Orchid
2. The Nurse
3. My Doorbell
4. Forever For Her (Is Over For Me)
5. Little Ghost
6. The Denial Twist
7. White Moon
8. Instinct Blues
9. Passive Manipulation
10. Take, Take, Take
11. As Ugly As I Seem
12. Red Rain
13. I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet)
So there we have it.

explosionsinthesky
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by explosionsinthesky » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:38 pm

fucking exciting. I have a feeling it is going to be great. How could it not be?

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Post by hebrew hammer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:02 pm

I can't wait. I just hope it'll be as good as everything else they've done. The White Stripes are one of the few current bands that can consistently make amazing albums. Nowadays, more and more bands seem to be making crap.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by nobodygirl » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:38 pm

Subject: Official White Stripes press release

APRIL 12th 2005
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
THE WHITE STRIPES WILL RELEASE THEIR NEW ALBUM -- THE BAND'S FIFTH -- ON THIRD MAN RECORDS/ V2 RECORDS ON JUNE 7TH 2005. RECORDED IN DETROIT AT JACK WHITE'S THIRD MAN STUDIOS, MIXED IN MEMPHIS AT ARDENT STUDIOS AND MASTERED IN NEW YORK CITY AT MASTERDISK, THE ALBUM WILL BE TITLED GET BEHIND ME SATAN.

THE ALBUM CONTAINS 13 ORIGINAL SONGS, ALL OF THEM WRITTEN ON PIANO, ACOUSTIC GUITAR AND MARIMBA.
12. Red Rain
That kind of makes me sad, because without reading the ORIGINAL SONGS bit I saw "Red Rain" and immediately started fantasizing about how the White Stripes would sound covering Peter Gabriel, and btw/because you asked and care "Red Rain" is one of my favorite songs ever ever EVER. (how)EVER, I have been and remain entirely suspicious of Jack White as a legitimate non-Hollywood-tainted songwriter ever since the whole Renee Zellweger-ness happened. Though maybe breaking up with squinty-eyed starlets who look like your sister by the end of the relationship enchances one's songwriting ability. Dunno.

Coopstar
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Coopstar » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:15 pm

This is sweet. Ever since the grammy speech directed at "country radio" I mentioned that Jack's cred meter was full. Its time for Jack to cash in... big time.

Chris G
Dotman

Post by Chris G » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:27 pm

hebrew hammer wrote:I can't wait. I just hope it'll be as good as everything else they've done. The White Stripes are one of the few current bands that can consistently make amazing albums. Nowadays, more and more bands seem to be making crap.
Really? Sorry you feel that way, but I couldn't disagree more.

I think there are more great bands out there putting out albums right now than there have been for at least 15 or 20 years. There is so much great music out right now I don't have enough time to listen to it all.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Post by hebrew hammer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:01 pm

Yeah, I've noticed how much great music has come out recently. It's overwhelming. Plus I'm always trying to catch up on the classics that I don't have.

I think the point I was trying to make about the Stripes consistency, wasn't that only the White Stripes and two other bands are out there pumping out excellent music, but there are less bands that have released 5+ Cds who continue making just mind-blowing CDs. Some bands break up or just make a bad album but the White Stripes haven't.

Chris G
Dotman

Post by Chris G » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:22 am

hebrew hammer wrote:Yeah, I've noticed how much great music has come out recently. It's overwhelming. Plus I'm always trying to catch up on the classics that I don't have.

I think the point I was trying to make about the Stripes consistency, wasn't that only the White Stripes and two other bands are out there pumping out excellent music, but there are less bands that have released 5+ Cds who continue making just mind-blowing CDs. Some bands break up or just make a bad album but the White Stripes haven't.
Yes, they are (he is?) the most consistent recording artist out there right now. Agreed.