Question about Beverly Hills

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

dharmabum110
GLONO Board Playa

Question about Beverly Hills

Post by dharmabum110 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:59 am

Is it just me or did Weezer release a subtley different version of "Beverly Hills"? I was talking to my girlfriend about it yesterday. I swore that when I first heard the song back in April or so, the lyric "Can You Hear Me?" was sung by what seemed to me to be a distintly female voice. Recently I've heard the song on the radio and it sounds like one of the guys in the band is singing it in an almost breathless voice. Anybody else notice this, or am I just thick?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:06 pm

You are correct. And the "gimme gimme" vocals were performed by dudes on the original mix.

dharmabum110
GLONO Board Playa

Post by dharmabum110 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:19 pm

Jake, why the remix then? It really isn't that much different from the original.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:45 pm

Here's the story:
The version played by Live 105 is in fact an earlier mix or demo version of the song, which is easy to spot due to the (early) male rather than (correct) female 'gimmie gimme' back-up vocals, as wel as overall sound differences. Clever fans have been recording the clips and now mp3s are flowing back and forth amongst the Weezgnoscenti.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:58 pm

The different version could be a way of catering to different radio formats since the song is getting played on Contemporary Hit Radio, Active Rock and New or Alternative stations. When Shania Twain and other crossover artists release a single to radio there's a country version, a less twangy pop version, maybe another shorter and longer version with stuff included or deleted--sometimes 4 versions on one cd with one customized just for you--talk about being a sellout whore!. When radio used to play cd's you'd have to write in marker or grease pencil--
play cut 2(it's the one without the 38 second tuba solo!)

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by trainwreck2 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:59 pm

i just think its a boring song after the first 2 or 3 listens... I think the word is plodding...

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:15 pm

see i don't see that at all. it's one of the better tunes from the summer. i really dug it.

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Post by Johnny Loftus » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:58 pm

grounded5am wrote:see i don't see that at all. it's one of the better tunes from the summer. i really dug it.
Right on, right on.

http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=7639

JTL

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:16 pm

I like it too. Not enough to buy the album. But enough to not turn the channel on the radio when it comes on.

"the bittersweet wet dream of Fame Land, where even David Spade fucks a model" -- Great line, J-Lo. Nice work getting that published in a professional print rag (even if it is alternative weekly, still!).

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by nobodygirl » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:19 pm

grounded5am wrote:see i don't see that at all. it's one of the better tunes from the summer. i really dug it.
Johnny Loftus wrote:Right on, right on.
Jake wrote:I like it too. Not enough to buy the album. But enough to not turn the channel on the radio when it comes on.
You are all on drugs.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...ha.
seriously, I think it's terrible, but whatever.