100 Greatest (Most Rocking Electric-Guitar-Based) Rock Songs

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:30 pm

Of all the 60's one-hit wonders why "96 Tears"? How about "Psychotic Reaction" by The Count Five or "Dirty Water" by The Standells?
And if you're choosing a 60's song by The Who it's gotta be "My Generation" over "I Can't Explain" with the criteria we're using here.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:51 pm

hey, i just realized that nothing from faith no more's angel dust made the list. DAMN!

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:51 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:Of all the 60's one-hit wonders why "96 Tears"? How about "Psychotic Reaction" by The Count Five or "Dirty Water" by The Standells?
And if you're choosing a 60's song by The Who it's gotta be "My Generation" over "I Can't Explain" with the criteria we're using here.
I agree with "Psychotic Reaction" over "96 Tears," but stand by "Can't Explain" over "My Generation" cuz I think it's a better song.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:19 pm

miss carol wrote:hey, i just realized that nothing from faith no more's angel dust made the list. DAMN!
What about some older Faith No More? "We Care a Lot"? I'd put a vote in for that.
jaimoe0 wrote:
I agree with "Psychotic Reaction" over "96 Tears," but stand by "Can't Explain" over "My Generation" cuz I think it's a better song.
Agreed.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:31 pm

The list (not by my choice) has drifted more towards "how much it rocks".
"Can't Explain" has a helluva hook but it's more pop.

jaimoe0

Post by jaimoe0 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:44 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:The list (not by my choice) has drifted more towards "how much it rocks".
"Can't Explain" has a helluva hook but it's more pop.
I don't think "My Generation" is particularly noteworthy riffage. It's familiar, and it's a great song but not stellar riffs. "Can't Explain" has a chord structure you can hang your hat on.

Coopstar
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Coopstar » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:34 pm

Sorry - couldn't hold out any longer. Nice selection going on there Shecks. I would have the Mooneys on there and I would swap out "Can't Explain" with something more unknown (and yes, less-poppy). Maybe something off of Live At Leeds - like their bitchin' cover of "Summertime Blues" or the John Entwistle penned "Heaven & Hell". Just my $0.02. I'll be in the corner.

jaimoe0

Post by jaimoe0 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:21 am

Coopstar wrote:Sorry - couldn't hold out any longer. Nice selection going on there Shecks. I would have the Mooneys on there and I would swap out "Can't Explain" with something more unknown (and yes, less-poppy). Maybe something off of Live At Leeds - like their bitchin' cover of "Summertime Blues" or the John Entwistle penned "Heaven & Hell". Just my $0.02. I'll be in the corner.
Ooooh, now that you mention it, that Live at Leeds extendo version of "My Generation" that includes everything and the kitchen sink would be great. Townshend's greatest bid for guitar hero status. I should've never doubted you, Sven. Thanks, Coop.

spw317

VU

Post by spw317 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:59 am

Your third draft fails to include the Velvet Underground. They are a necessity.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:49 am

Hmm, further musings from the peanut gallery (i.e., ME)...

For Stones, I'm now thinkin' we oughta go with "Rip This Joint"; the energy in that one is crackling off the vinyl, you just can't contain it. But if we need ta reach a consensus, I'm gonna still say "Rocks Off" over "Monkey Man", even though the latter is a smoker...

For the Who, I was originally in the "5:15" camp, but Coopstar raises some cool points, so I'm gonna go with the Live At Leeds (or the Rolling Stones' R&R Circus) version of "A Quick One While He's Away". Yeah, the who were at their rock zenith at Live At Leeds, imho.

And I'm still gonna press on, that Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers rocked hardest with "Chinese Rocks" and the entire L.A.M.F. album. Just to clarify, the version I'm so nuts about is the current "Lost '77 Mixes" version; the original release, or the one on LAMF Revisited doesn't have the same punch. But the "Lost '77 Mixes" disc compiles the alternate takes of the same songs which are the most feral, taut, muscular rockin' versions, proving that Johnny and the boys could stare down any challenge for supremacy. Phenomenal stuff, that disc.

And I care enough about getting this right, that I gotta stress to the powers that compile this that "Taxman, Mr. Thief", "Oh Candy", "ELO Kiddies", "Hot Love", "High Roller", "Auf Wiedersehen" (live on the double disc Budokan, this one is downright sinister, it's so good), "Invaders Of The Heart", or even "She's Tight" rock harder than "Surrender". Don't get me wrong; I LOVE "Surrender"; it's just... these songs rock harder. Period. End of sentence. Quod erat demonstrandum. (and take that, jaimoe, you with your intimidatingly intelligent words like "mephitic"... ;-)

With Descendents, I think "Kids On Coffee", "Suburban Home", and a bunch rock harder than "Sour Grapes", as cool as it is. Even "Clean Sheets" rocks harder.

Other than that, believe it or not, I'm pretty cool with the 3rd draft as it stands.

Oh, one more thing: "7 Nation Army" will rock the tits off of anything else in the White Stripes catalog. So sayeth I.