Warren Zevon?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Warren Zevon?

Post by steve-o » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:43 pm

He was always one of those artists I had meant to check out, but never really got around to it. But I heard some random mp3's last night, and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. So now here I am trying to figure out where to start with what is a relatively large discography, I'm sure of which is a lot like Elvis Costello's, in that you have be careful to pick out the brilliant hits over the absurdly bad misses.

I know he is fairly well-liked around these parts, so anyone want to make a recommendation for my first Warren Zevon album? I think a lot of what I had heard was his late 80s/early 90s material, but my own research has turned up good things about earlier stuff like Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School and the Self titled album. Any suggestions?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:47 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:57 pm

Got a chance to see Warren real up close twice in a small club
during the 90's. It was cool to see him look at me as I reacted to some funny shit he said. I'll never forget that smirk and the gleam in his eye.
I recommend "Excitable Boy", "Sentimental Hygiene", "Mr. Bad Example" and "Transverse City", which features one of my Zevon favorites "Splendid Isolation"......

"Michael Jackson In Disneyland
Don't have to share it with nobody else
Lock the gates Goofy take my hand
and lead me through the world of self."

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Lep » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:24 pm

The self-titled album is really good, and "Excitable Boy" is probably a good place to start, too. The Rhino compilations also look nice.

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by blackshoestring » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:02 pm

I would second Excitable Boy and recommend his collaboration w/the sans Stipe REM, The Hindu Love Gods. I would even call it "stellar" and I never use that word (mind you, these are covers).

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by creepy » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:06 pm

their "raspberry beret" is great... not as good as prince's but close...

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by blackshoestring » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:09 pm

creepy wrote:their "raspberry beret" is great... not as good as prince's but close...
What's more fun: picturing Warren Zevon working at the five and dime, or Prince? Hmm, I think it's a tie.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:15 pm

I really have to recommend getting The Wind, Excitable Boy, one of his best-of's (either the double-disc or the single disc, Genius), Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School, and Mr. Bad Example. Here's one of my fave Zevon lyrics, from "Finishing Touches" off of Mr. Bad Example:
Warren Zevon wrote:You say it's all my fault
Who's keeping score?
Some people like to be punished
They keep coming back for more
But I'm sick & tired
And my cock is sore
You can screw everybody I've ever known
But I still won't talk to you on the phone
It's a hopeless cause--there's no use crying
And I can die, you can die, we can die trying
Thanks anyway, no use hangin' around
You try to put the finishing touches on me

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:34 pm

What Sven said...with the exception of "Mr. Bad Example." "Detox Mansion" from "Sentimental Hygiene" is just awesome. And I like the Hindu Love Gods album too. If you start early, go with "Warren Zevon." If you're starting later, go with "The Wind."

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:40 am

worpswede wrote:What Sven said...with the exception of "Mr. Bad Example."."
Yeah Mr. Bad Example as a whole ain't great but the title track and "Searchin For A Heart " are two of my all time favorites.