What Every GloNo Poster Should Own.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

What Every GloNo Poster Should Own.

Post by worpswede »

This is the thread in which we identify albums that should be in every GloNo poster's record collection. Think of those albums that should be a pre-requisite before even being granted a screen name. They should be universally acknowledged as vital classics, so as much as I love Polvo's "Today's Active Lifestyles" and think you should have it, the record wouldn't be on the list because it's disputable. Feel free to dispute someone's nomination too, if you feel they're getting a little pretentious with their choice.
Here's one I think we call all pretty much agree on:
Bob Dylan-"Highway 61 Revisited"
You should all own that one and perhaps Jake should ban you if you don't.
Now your turn...
hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Post by hebrew hammer »

Replacements-Let It Be and Tim
Radiohead-OK Computer (And The Bends?)
Rolling Stones-Exile on Main Street

Those seem to be the only ones I can think of, but I know there are more. Probably some more Dylan, some more Stones, and then some other stuff I'm just not thinking about.

And just to put a few out there for consideration:
Wilco-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Velvet Underground-Nico and Loaded
Interpol-Turn on the Bright Lights
steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o »

My Bloody Valetine Loveless
Elvis Costello's This Years Model
Joy Division Unknown Pleasures.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "you should be banned if you don't own those albums," but everyone who calls themselves a music snob should get a severe talking to if they haven't given them at least one thorough listen.
worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede »

steve-o wrote:My Bloody Valetine Loveless
Elvis Costello's This Years Model
Joy Division Unknown Pleasures.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "you should be banned if you don't own those albums," but everyone who calls themselves a music snob should get a severe talking to if they haven't given them at least one thorough listen.
Why not your avatar "Closer" instead of "Unknown Pleasures?" "U.P." is a classic, but I would ban a poster if they didn't have "Closer."
Ban is harsh. But we're all harsh music dorks around here. I got a drunken tongue lashing last month for admitting to liking The Strokes. It comes with the territory, but we're also a bunch of sensitive pansies, so we wouldn't actually want to see anyone really get banned for their answers to this thread. Unless they really don't own "Highway 61 Revisited" and then, absolutely, they should be banned.
Kids, if you're looking for a cheap alternative to college, buy Bob Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited" and you'll probably learn just as much from that album as you would at a four-year insititution.
So forget about really being a sensitive pansy, and don't be a mush-mouth about it. Example:
Hebrew Hammer wrote: Radiohead-OK Computer (And The Bends?)
Don't put "and 'The Bends' with a question mark at the end! Either it is or it isn't!. These are albums you should be passionate about and willing to become a prick to someone who doesn't have it, even after they've gone on for twenty minutes on how great Yo La Tengo is.
Here's another non-negotiable from Worp:
The Stooges-"Fun House"
BTW: the same guy that chastised me for liking The Strokes doesn't even own a Stooges album. Therefore, his overall music status in my eyes went from "credible" to "pretentious and retarded."
D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips »

Stone Roses - Stone Roses (Debut)
THe Smiths - Queen is Dead
Beatles - White Album
The The - Mind Bomb
Neil Young - After the Gold Rush, On the Beach, and Tonight's the Night
Tom Waits - Heart of Saturday Night
Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
Wilco - Being There
the Libertines - Up the Bracket
infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by infectiousdisease »

worpswede wrote: I wouldn't go so far as to say "you should be banned if you don't own those albums," but everyone who calls themselves a music snob should get a severe talking to if they haven't given them at least one thorough listen.
Eeepsie. I'm getting a severe talking-to....or I'll be banned! Aaaah. Well, not really. I've given every album thus far on the list a thorough listen, even though I own pitfully few. Then again, I don't call myself a music snob-I'm here to learn from the best, haha.

I nominate T. Rex's Electric Warrior to the list regardless.
DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy »

Big Star - #1 Record/Radio City (what, you expected anything less from me?)
Joe Jackson - I'm The Man
Jellyfish - Spilt Milk
Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers - L.A.M.F., the lost '77 mixes
Primal Scream - XTRMNTR
Primal Scream - Vanishing Point
Quasar Wut Wut - Taro Sound
The Loud Family - Plants and Birds and Rocks and Things (although for as excellent as it is, I understand it's obscure, therefore yer all forgiven for not owning it yet)
Husker Du - New Day Rising
Cheap Trick - Cheap Trick (the 1977 one, although the 1997 one is great, too)
OST - Repo Man
Bob Mould - Body Of Song (a bit of a new classic)
The Who - Quadrophenia
Riviera - At The End Of The American Century
Verbow - White Out (see above parenthetical comment attached to the Loud Family)
Various - The Complete Stax/Volt Singles, 1959-1968 (see previously-noted parenthetical comment, substitute the word "expensive" for "obscure")
The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St.
Liz Phair - Exile In Guyville
Urge Overkill - Saturation (although I think that Exit The Dragon is in its own way even moreso a masterpiece)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Good call on This Years Model; I second it. Give me time, I'll think of more...
creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by creepy »

hmmmm...

a pox upon thee that hast not these rekkids:

drive like jehu-"yank crime"
guided by voices "bee thousand" and "alien lanes"
neutral milk hotel "in the aeroplane over the sea"
paul simon "graceland" (yeah, i said it!)
sonic youth "daydream nation"

i also agree with most of the previous stuff listed, and will make an effort to check out what i havn't heard...
jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 »

DJMurphy wrote:Various - The Complete Stax/Volt Singles, 1959-1968 (see previously-noted parenthetical comment, substitute the word "expensive" for "obscure")
Got that for $50 shortly after Christmas. Sweet!

The Replacements - Let It Be through Pleased to Meet Me
Bob Marley and the Wailers - African Herbsman
The Stooges - Funhouse
The Beatles - Revolver, Rubber Soul, at a minimum
AC/DC - The Bon Scott years. Just do it!
The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet through Exile on Main Street, at least.
Various Artists - Nuggets (the 4-cd box set, although the second Nuggets set, of non-American bands, and Children of Nuggets both rock as well, but that first one really is essential.)
Ramones - self-titled debut.

That's kind of a smattering. There's a lot more stuff you really ought to have, like Motorhead, something from the SST catalog, VU, probably that Ecco-Fonic Records comp that Deke Dickerson put out. So very much.
thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by thinsafetypin »

am i seriously the first one to mention pet sounds and nebraska?