Chicago rock festivals this summer

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Chicago rock festivals this summer

Post by Jake » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:33 pm

Three rock fests, shitloads of bands. Who's going to which ones? Post either here or there...

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:03 pm

I can't find the roster for Intonation, but Pitchfork has Mountain Goats, Spoon, Mission of Burma & Ted Leo. That's lookin' like my tick to click.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:11 pm

Am I high (rhetorical question), or wasn't Intonation the Pitchfork festival last year?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:16 pm

You are not high. They split.

Intonation was "curated" by the Fork last year. This year it's "curated" by Vice.

explosionsinthesky
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by explosionsinthesky » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:24 pm

As of now I'm going to both Pitchfork and Lollapalooza. Pitchfork because they already have some pretty good bands and Lolla mostly because I know some people and I'll be able to go for free.

I love living in this city. If only they didn't deny Radiohead playing in Millennium Park. That would have been nice to see.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by n8 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:55 pm

there are two places in the states I'd consider moving to beyond the SF Bay Area: Seattle and Chicago. Rock on you guys, and tell Billy Corgan I say hi.

hausofjl
GLONO Board Playa

Post by hausofjl » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:19 pm

its about time us midwesterners got some festivals. personally, i really want to go to pitchfork, tapes 'n tapes is really good and ive been wanting to see mr. leo for years. and bonnaroo, if you can deal with all the hippie crap, the lineup is out of this world.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:13 am

Intonation fest adds rare Erickson show
In addition to already impressive rosters featuring some of the most exciting underground buzz bands on the current music scene, this summer's Intonation and Pitchfork Music festivals both recently scored impressive coups by booking several older, legendary rock acts that will be making ultra-rare appearances at Chicago's Union Park.

Intonation has announced the additions of Roky Erickson, the former leader of the 13th Floor Elevators, and Blue Cheer, the reunited proto-grunge/psychedelic-blues band, to its festival, which takes place in the West Side park on June 24-25.

And Pitchfork has added Os Mutantes, leaders of Brazil's Tropicalia movement in the early '70s, to its music celebration, scheduled for the same site in Union Park on July 29-30.
It's getting interesting...

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by blackshoestring » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:25 am

I suppose that still means no Rita Lee with Os Mutantes? Either way, they pretty much cinch the deal for me. Hope they have more water this year...

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Post by hebrew hammer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:53 pm

There's no way I'm missing Os Mutantes. When I saw that they were playing the 'Fork, I practically creamed my jeans. I was actually thinking of doing Bonaroo for Radiohead, but this is probably the only time I'll get to see Os Mutantes live, and I can probably see Radiohead another time.