Best Hype Band?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Best Hype Band?

Arcade Fire
47%
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
16%
Arctic Monkeys
37%

Total votes: 19

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Best Hype Band?

Post by n8 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:39 pm

With everyone's recent ass-kissing of the Arctic Monkeys, the question presents itself: Out of the three main indie rock bands to be hyped to hell and back in the age of blogging and MP3 ubiquity, who's the best?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:56 pm

I predict that the Arcade Fire will have the longest shelf-life, but personally, the only album of the three that I ever want to listen to is the Arctic Monkeys. I like the playful, literate lyrics peppered with goofy British slang, and the loud, frazzled guitars.

Arcade Fire and Clap Your Hands both seem like music for nice, respectable college kids. There's nothing wrong with that, of course. It's just not my thing (right now). And I don't like their yelpy voices.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:20 pm

What about nice, respectable recent college graduates? Because I choose Arcade Fire. Clap Your Hands have potential, and Arctic Monkeys are cool, but I think their style is kind of limiting. I don't know where or how they'll progress. But The Arcade Fire have established the best batch of songs so far.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:20 pm

Arctic Monkeys, for the reasons Jake enumerated. I think Arcade Fire is an "important" band, but I sure don't listen to the disc very often. Clap Your Hands singer dude drives me to distraction, although I love the music.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:41 pm

I do admit that the Arctic Monkeys' performance of "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor" on SNL (when has SNL gotten so hip? They even played Wilco in a skit last week) totally kicked ass.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by n8 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:50 pm

My vote is a little biased because I haven't heard the Arctic Monkeys, but I can at least say this:
I love Funeral and listen to it frequently, and while CYHSY have some interesting rhythms, the singer's voice irritates the heck outta me.
I vote for AF.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:17 am

Funeral is still in my permanent rotation, so I think Arcade Fire has proven itself as more than just a hype band. I was listening to it a couple of days ago actually. Goddamn, that's a good album. Plus, how many other hype bands have performed with both Bowie and David Byrne?

Never cared much at all for CYHSY. As far as hype bands go, TV On the Radio did it better.

The Arctic Monkeys I like. I guess time will tell on that one.

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Maarten » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:14 am

i care for none of those. i do like yeah yeah yeahs and liars, who are/have also been hyped, to a slightly lesser degree

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:22 am

I finally came around to the Arcade Fire after many tries and then a long absence--its brilliant (but definitely a 'mood' record)--and where was I reading some article or post by someone who wasn't going to buy anything until it was out for 2-3 years because only then would it stand on its own merits or fade into the hype vortex? because that seems like my modus operandi now. I tend to buy records after all the "year's best" lists are made and time has passed a bit.

From what I've head CYHSY kind of bugs me but those Monkeys seem pretty fun. But then I was reading D's review about how they're a bit Libertine-ish and I still haven't even gotten around to that band.

Dudes, I don't even have an iPod. I fear their awesome power.

Hopelessly Out of Touch,
babajagaralagla

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:47 am

What do you Arcade Fire fans think of the Bjork song on that album? Because it bugs the shit out of me.