New CDs = Love or maybe just like? 2006 Edition

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by vitas »

cat153 wrote:Not to get off the Spiritualized topic...

BUT, Dylan's new album is very, very good on first listen. Sounds like Love and Theft in very obvious ways but this is probably Dylan's loudest most raukous set of songs in a LONG, LONG time.
the new dylan album is incredible. i came to it with a lot of apprehension, but it more than won me over. at first listen the tracks that really stuck out to me were "when the deal goes down", "workingman blues #2", 'beyond the horizon" and "ain't talkin". though, after repeated listenings, there really isn't a flat spot on the record. front to back, it's definitely one of the best records i've heard in a while.
jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 »

Went and saw Centro-matic last Wednesday, and while I was there, picked up:
The Static vs. the Strings, Vol. I
and So. San Gabriel's The Carlton Chronicles.
explosionsinthesky
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by explosionsinthesky »

Uhm...the new TV on the Radio album is really good. Anyone else heard it yet?
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

suzanne vega - live at stephen talkhouse (self released cd from her website)
pete yorn - nightcrawler
stereolab - serene velocity: a stereolab anthology
garrison starr - the sound of you and me
grant lee phillips - nineteeneighties (i agree with your assesment of this steve-o)
built to spill - live
presephone's bees - notes from the underworld
the black crowes - lost crowes
edie brickell - a better life (a cd i made of all 11 songs that she's releeased on her site in the last year)
r.e.m. - and i feel fine: the best of the i.r.s. years 1982-1987 2 disc collectors' editon (it's got theme from two steps onward on here)
cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by cat153 »

Got three great albums yesterday...

Yo La Tengo's...i am not afraid of you and will beat your ass

TV on the Radio...return to cookie mountain

The Rature...peices of the people we love.

all are really very good...at least on first or second listen. we'll see how they fare with repeated listens.

also, really liking the new Magnolia Electric Co. cd and David Bazan's fewer moving parts.
Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Tim »

cat153 wrote:
also, really liking the new Magnolia Electric Co. cd and David Bazan's fewer moving parts.
I've been thinking about picking up that Magnolia Electric Co. cd. Have you listened to their others? Would you recommend them too?
explosionsinthesky
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by explosionsinthesky »

Tim wrote:
I've been thinking about picking up that Magnolia Electric Co. cd. Have you listened to their others? Would you recommend them too?
I would recommend you pick up Songs: Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co. first, as to me, that is the definitive Molina album.

From there you can file through the other Songs: Ohia, Mag Electric Co., Pyramid Electric Co., and Molina "solo" albums.

In fact Jason Molina's new solo album is pretty good, which, somewhat similarly talked about in other posts, is only available to be purchased as vinyl, but comes with the CD as well.
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

I really love What Comes After the Blues. Two of its best songs are available as free mp3s too: "Leave the City" and "The Dark Don’t Hide It"

"Leave the City" in particular blows my mind.

Broke my heart to leave the city
I mean it broke what wasn’t broken in there already
Thought of all my great reasons for leaving
Now I can’t think of any
It’s true it was a hard time that I’ve come through
It’s made me thankful for the blues
cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by cat153 »

I would concur about checking out songs: ohia first. However, i really like MEC and would recommend both bands very strongly. As for MEC, I really like their first CD the best. However, all of them are really very good. Of course, MEC can really suffer from obvious Crazy Horse comparisons so...there you go.
hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Post by hebrew hammer »

explosionsinthesky wrote:Uhm...the new TV on the Radio album is really good. Anyone else heard it yet?
I love it. I've only had a limited number of listens, but it sounds pretty good, definitely a step forward for Desperate Youth, which was a great album.

I also got Beirut-Gulag Orkestar which is amazing.