Since there's more to life than just music...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

booker wrote:What do y'all think of David Eggers?
Like him. Read his first two books and will read his latest book of short stories when I have time. He's not everyone's taste, though. Eggers plays with linear narrative a bit and hops around. If you like that engagement, then he's fun to follow. But if you prefer conventional writers, Eggers may not be for you.
booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by booker »

miss carol wrote:
Like him. Read his first two books and will read his latest book of short stories when I have time. He's not everyone's taste, though. Eggers plays with linear narrative a bit and hops around. If you like that engagement, then he's fun to follow. But if you prefer conventional writers, Eggers may not be for you.
I will indulge. Thanks, Miss Carol.
jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 »

I think I've asked for A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius for Christmas for like the last five years... but I just keep getting coal in my stocking. I think I must suck.
steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o »

So I ended up getting Merot's Mammals and Nemirovsky's Suite Francaise. I tried finding Black Swan Green but couldn't find it. Tore through Mammals in about three days, it's just full of that dry French humor, but was surprisingly not a bunch of "life is shit" moaning and groaning. More like "life is magnificent shit." It definitely did not disappoint.
explosionsinthesky
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by explosionsinthesky »

I am currently reading Augusten Burroughs new one Possible Side Effects. It's good, but Running with Scissors is still his best. He's always good if you like the "comedic memoirs" thing.

Recently read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I had heard a lot about it and was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it.

Also just read The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night by Mark Haddon. I enjoyed both, but because they are written in a similar style they were a bit much when read back to back. Both very quick and easy to get through.

Re-read The Fountainhead not to long ago, and found out again why I always named it as one of my favorites.

These are all good books, and well worth the read.
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

i wish i read more. as it is, i have a shelf full of books, 30 or more, that unfinished. i start them, but never get all the way through. here lately anyway. the last book i actually finished was war of the worlds last year.
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

explosionsinthesky wrote:I Re-read The Fountainhead not to long ago, and found out again why I always named it as one of my favorites.
I think you are the first person I've ever heard who liked Ayn Rand. Not that there's anything wrong in that, it just seems to be a rarity. (Me, I've only read Anthem and thought it was piss poor writing.)
explosionsinthesky
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by explosionsinthesky »

miss carol wrote:
I think you are the first person I've ever heard who liked Ayn Rand. Not that there's anything wrong in that, it just seems to be a rarity. (Me, I've only read Anthem and thought it was piss poor writing.)
I'll be honest when I say that The Fountainhead is the only book I liked by her. I've tried reading some of her others, including her other epic Atlas Shrugged. I just couldn't finish them. I think the story of The Fountainhead is what compelled me rather than Ayn Rands "wacky" ideals.

I also think that a big reason why I liked this book has to do with the fact that I read it for the first time when I was a senior in high school. At the time I had big dreams of becoming an architect. Since architecture is one of the main themes of the book, I definately conected with it on that level.

I guess I'm just trying to clarify that, I wouldn't say I'm necessarilly an Ayn Rand fan, but more a fan of this single book of hers. I know people either love this book or hate it and I guess I can understand why.
Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Lep »

Picked up crazy old Jim Garrison's JFK book in New Orleans in the most well-organized used book store I've ever seen, then came home and started Delillo's Libra, which I had a hard time with before. But with a little background, it's really cool.
KC32
GLONO Board Playa

Post by KC32 »

I just finished Samuel Fuller's autobiography My Third Face. Great book. Even if you don't care for his films or know who the hell he is it's an entertaining read. The guy lead a colorful, amazing life and though past 80 when he wrote still maintains his enthusiasm that whole team.

I've never had much use for Rand. Characters spouting pages upon pages of political philosophy and diatribes does not literature make.