Since there's more to life than just music...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Wed May 24, 2006 12:00 pm

n8 wrote:yeah, great book, and i was trying to think - what is it about this book that would make them want to ban it?
I would imagine there's cursing in it. Most books/movies about Vietnam have lots of naughty words in them. Gee, I wonder why...

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Tim » Wed May 24, 2006 2:25 pm

I just finished Tom Wolfe's I am Charlotte Simmons. I really enjoyed it. Its a great satire on college life. Wolfe is a genius in my opinion, especially since the guy is pushing 70+ and seems to get the world of college right on.

I just picked up Philip Caputo's Rumor of War. Its about his time spent in Vietnam as a soldier. Its a pretty powerful book and gives a great first hand account of what it was like to fight in that war.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky » Wed May 24, 2006 3:35 pm

Tim wrote:I just picked up Philip Caputo's Rumor of War. Its about his time spent in Vietnam as a soldier. Its a pretty powerful book and gives a great first hand account of what it was like to fight in that war.
That is a damn good book - timely now since we have another Vietnam going on.

Me, I've been re-reading Paul Therioux travel novels. 'The Old Patagonia Express' is a good one - cranky, misanthropic Therioux goes all the way from Boston to Patagonia by train and rages against the machine the whole way. Good stuff.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Wed May 24, 2006 5:05 pm

I'm not like them
But I can pretend
The sun is gone
But I have a light
The day is done
But I'm having fun
I think I'm dumb
Or maybe just happy

I think I'm dumb
I think I'm dumb
I think I'm dumb

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by booker » Wed May 24, 2006 6:02 pm

I have indulged in some fantastic stuff lately:

- Camden Joy, "The Last Rock Store; or Liz Phair, A Rant" -- My favorite of all these.
- Christopher Moore, "Bloodsucking Fiends" -- His best that I've read so far.
- Neil Gaiman, "Neverwhere" -- I like the guy better than Tolkien and C.S. Lewis combined.
- Stephen King, "On Writing" -- Should be required reading for every creative writing class, especially the second half.

BeaArthur5-49
GLONO Board Playa

Post by BeaArthur5-49 » Wed May 24, 2006 6:46 pm

miss carol wrote:BUT David Mitchell is fucking GENIUS. Pick up his latest Black Swan Green. I'm almost done, but I was in love after a mere twenty-five pages. So good...
Seconded...My little sister just sent me a copy of it, and I can't put it down. It's my first experience with Mitchell, and it's rocking my world.
n8 wrote: yeah, great book {The Things They Carried}, and i was trying to think - what is it about this book that would make them want to ban it? i recall it being a powerful and well-written, but still relatively bening book, at least on hot-button issues. or maybe I missed something?
There's a bit of drug use in it, and some ripe language, which can turn off easily scared parents. It takes a VERY hard and realistic view of war and what it does to the people in it, so I guess it's a neo-con's nightmare. That said, I just finished teaching it to my 10th grade English class (love being a New Englander) and kids who rarely -- if ever -- read couldn't put down. Thumbs up all the way around.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Wed May 24, 2006 7:45 pm

BeaArthur5-49 wrote:That said, I just finished teaching it (The Things They Carried) to my 10th grade English class (love being a New Englander) and kids who rarely -- if ever -- read couldn't put down. Thumbs up all the way around.
And that right there should trump any conceivable argument the fundies could make... the book -- a history, for cryin' out loud -- made high school sophomores WANT to read. Fuck you, preacher man!

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Wed May 24, 2006 9:54 pm

1) Camden Joy is very fun to read.
2) Lamb...just pick up Lamb. No questions, just do.
3) High school English can either turn kids on or off reading. I sold a kid Slaughterhouse Five simply based on his grade level. He had an essay due "yesterday." Vonnegaut is a decepitively fast, easy read. I remember LOVING the book, so it's a kick for me to pass it on. So good on you, BeaArthur Parents are so easy to squirm, too. Complicated Kindess would be perfect for high school: it's dark, sarcastic, and reasonably well-written (though not my taste).
4) You have it all wrong: fundies don't want people to read. They want them to do as they're told. Reading leads to ideas, and ideas lead to independent thought. *

*Quick note: did you know approximately 42% of Canadians are only semi-literate? That means these people can't read the directions on an aspirin bottle or the warnings on a bottle at work. Pathetic...

stickman45
Cocksmith

Post by stickman45 » Thu May 25, 2006 10:15 am

They're also hosers.

Don't wanna alarm you but, look to your left, then your right. If you don't see a hoser, then the hoser is you.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by booker » Thu May 25, 2006 4:37 pm

What do y'all think of David Eggers?