Since there's more to life than just music...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:58 pm

I agree with, LI, about Hiassen. Despite the formula, he's always fun. Read his kids fiction, too. And always look for the frozen lizard.

I think I belong to the tribe of Exceptional Women who despite Atwood and chicklit and head over to the "dick lit" list. I forget how many times I've sold Hiassen to women as a light, funny, smart, beach/plane read. Him and Christopher Moore.

Day is done pour moi.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:16 pm

Now Jami Attenberg's Instant Love sounds like a kindred book for the following three reasons:
Number of times women wear high heels in this book: Zero

Bands mentioned: Pavement, The Grateful Dead, The Smiths, The Cure, Echo and The Bunnymen, New Order, The Who, The Eagles, The Rolling Stones, and, not by name but by song, Mystikal

Bands the author wishes she had mentioned but didn't: Sleater-Kinney, Guided by Voices, and Elliott Smith
I haven't read it, just about it, but it sounds okay thus far...

via Maud Newton

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Lep » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:16 am

BeaArthur5-49 wrote:"... why do they have to spend so much time glorifying getting wasted/laid/arrested/beat up?"
Leonard Sax says it's cuzza their brains.