He's Doing It Again Folks.....

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by booker » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:52 am

There are a few critics I like, respect and read, and they can be mean bastards sometimes. I can let that go because they turn me on to so much great new music.

That being said, I believe there are two types of people in this world: those that do and those that crticize. And while some of the critics that I like are certainly "doers" with amazing talent, more often than not, critics are just critics, and they're critics because they're lazy, untalented, jealous, sad people who don't do shit with their free time.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:02 am

booker wrote:more often than not, critics are just critics, and they're critics because they're lazy, untalented, jealous, sad people who don't do shit with their free time.
More often than not, I find that artists who complain about critics tend to be excruciatingly mediocre artists.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:17 am

Jake wrote:More often than not, I find that artists who complain about critics tend to be excruciatingly mediocre artists.
Yowch, a nasty right-back-atcha from el jefe.

The truth of the matter is, for one reason or another one group of people have been designated as "artists", and the rest of us who consume that art (even if we be artists ourselves) are "critics". There are some of us who have been designated by print or broadcast media to get paid to express our own rarefied opinion; most aren't paid or recognized as such. But the fact is, no single piece of art can be everything to everyone. The old truism reigns; opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, and everyone else thinks that their neighbor's stinks. SFW, folks.
Last edited by DJMurphy on Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by booker » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:32 am

Jake wrote: More often than not, I find that artists who complain about critics tend to be excruciatingly mediocre artists.
Ouch.

Hey, I never said I didn't like certain critics. There are a few I read somewhat religiously and respect (love to GloNo). AND there is just as much artistry to good criticism as there is to good music. I view passionate critics just the same as passionate musicians -- both are artists, both are doers. I guess I'm speaking more to people who don't do shit with themselves and waste their lives being offended by the rest of the world.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by n8 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:44 pm

booker wrote: I guess I'm speaking more to people who don't do shit with themselves and waste their lives being offended by the rest of the world.
like fundamentalist christians!

(segue into polititcal thread)

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:59 pm

booker wrote:

I guess I'm speaking more to people who don't do shit with themselves and waste their lives being offended by the rest of the world.

n8 wrote:
like fundamentalist christians!

(segue into polititcal thread)

There are critics who open their thesaurus, grab some lube, and set to writing. More often than not, they are crap writers, too. If you can't structure your sentences or use your verbs, don't call yourself a writer let alone a "critic."

Going back to being a curmungeon, or however you spell that damn word...

Alias
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by Alias » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:06 pm

russ wrote: Thank you for your extremely diplomatic reply...But do you have to verbally shit all over me to let me know of your distaste for it?
You can’t be serious! Russ, my sister-in-law’s demon spawn fetus has thicker skin than you. There was absolutely nothing b*tchy about my comment, dripping with light sarcasm, Yes! b*itchy No! and if my critique seemed indeed lazy its simply because I mirror the creative effort of the given work of “art” at hand.

Quid for Quo is my motto. Why would I waste my precious time, carbon dioxide and kinetic energy to devise a riveting concise piece of journalistic gem for something that frankly didn’t deserve the fart of a thought it was conceived from in the first place!

Ahaha! now that was b*tchy, just so you know the difference. Don’t be such a mollycoddled nerd. Take everything in stride and breathe. I didn't like it, its as simple as that, besides I've never touted myself as some pompus music nerd who's incline to offer soapbox'n gibber jabber hot air, that what n8 is here for, that slot is already taken.

And no. You don’t know me. The motive of my comment was neither to be mean spirited nor to do with the luxury of hiding behind an inane computer screen. If I tangibly knew you I would say the exact same thing; there only two kinds of people in my life, those I ignore and those I don’t. So be happy I even took the time to listen to your song in its entirety.

if you knew any of my friends, family and others they would tell you I don’t sugar coat anything, I believe in the bare knuckle truth cuz that’s what life should be about, truth! And if you can’t handle it, then don’t step out of you bubble of delusion especially with your thin skin.

Plus, I really liked your other song, its in my library, not to mention in my pod and I just listened to it last week. Now stop your cry'n, only XX's with a daddy complex cry.

And Wow! I didn't know there were so many polyanna hippos on here. Ahaha! you ppl are sooooooo funny! Its a debilitating crutch if you think someone deserves special treatment because they are an "amateur", to me an artist is an artist, a piece of art a piece of art, it makes no difference to me.

And yes DJMurphy, i have and will tell someone their ugly kid is ugly especially if they are showing them off as some Venus de Milo, also I believe in karma of the motive not action...someone can do or say something nice with an evil motive, like tell Russ his song was good. ;) (i didn't want to forget that! ahahaha)

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by n8 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:16 pm

Alias wrote:
russ wrote: Thank you for your extremely diplomatic reply...But do you have to verbally shit all over me to let me know of your distaste for it?
I've never touted myself as some pompus music nerd who's incline to offer soapbox'n gibber jabber hot air, that what n8 is here for, that slot is already taken.
I resent that! music nerd, yes. pompous, sometimes. but soapbox jibber jabber and hot air, definitely no, that's not me. not even my closest friends - or my fiance during an argument - would accuse me of that. evidently you haven't been reading closely enough! let's stop slinging insults already.

but to single me out as consummate music nerd amongst an entire community of them - well, frankly, i'm flattered!