What song was #1 the day you were born?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by infectiousdisease »

UK: First Time - Robin Beck

US: Bad Medicine - Bon Jovi

Uhhhhh.....I've never heard or heard of my UK result, but someone help me out here. Is it better than Bon Jovi at least?
Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Tim »

Greenwood The Sock Monkey wrote:
Tim wrote:Here's mine:
US: I Can See Clearly Now - Johnny Nash
awsome, i love this song!

UK: Clair - Gilbert O'Sullivan
never heard this one!
Tim:

Pretty cool, you were born the same week as me!

And no, I don't know the Gilbert O'Sullivan song either.

1972 was a pretty sketchy time for the Top 40. Not that our lives' theme song is much better. "Black Cat" by Janet Jackson? And I quote:

Black cat nine lives
Short days long nights
Livin on the edge
Not afraid to die
Heart beat real strong
But not for long
Better watch your step
Or youre gonna die

I don't know about you, Tim, but I was totally a womanizing gang-banger livin' on the edge back in the day.
haha, thats how I roll man.... Livin on the Edge!

Now I got that damn Black Cat song stuck in my head!

you know 1972 had two great albums that year..... The Stone's Exile on Main Street and Neil Young's Harvest.
Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Greenwood The Sock Monkey »

Tim wrote:you know 1972 had two great albums that year..... The Stone's Exile on Main Street and Neil Young's Harvest.
Oh yeah, there were plenty of good records that came out in 1972 (Ziggy Stardust etc), but taken as a whole the Top 40 singles charts were pretty sketchy. Trapped between the singer/songwriter explosion of the 1960s and the laid-back cocaine cowboy Calfornia vibes to come, 1972 was chock full o' easy listening cheeze.

The year's saving grace might be that it gave us Pink Floyd's "Live at Pompeii" film. It's still a blast to watch today.
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

Tim wrote:Now I got that damn Black Cat song stuck in my head!
Yeah, well I had friggen Bay City Rollers spinning through mine yesterday, thansk to LionIndex. Bastard.

Lep, I inherited a shitload of Osmond teen-girl stuff (including records) when I was a kid. My cousin had a serious (yet creative) hoard of scrapbooks, which got passed to me when she raided her brother's (original pressing) Stones collection. I can only pray she didn't let her kids get their paws on them...as does her brother. I've already informed him that I covet said vinyl...I am family after all...and they are his.

And Greenwood, when/if the Oilers grab up Lord Stan, keep away from the spontaneous bonfires, dude. Remember: you ain't a Leaf fan so don't act like one!
Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal »

Some sharpie at satellite radio should commence to makin' a station that plays strictly UK hits, or European charts, or something.

I'm mad I missed out on all those tunes, good or otherwise. But they have to be on a radio, or it doesn't work. I don't know why that is.

I remember hearing the radio at a cafe (not that kind of cafe) in Amsterdam, near the Anne Frank house, and it was total alternate-universe 60s-70s pop, stuff like "deep" Chad & Jeremy cuts, Queen's "39," Left Banke, etc.--nothing hip or artsy about it, just like, here's what was on our radios, then. Dutch oldies. So cool. I didn't want my pannekoek to end, Maarten!
Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal »

miss carol wrote:Yeah, well I had friggen Bay City Rollers spinning through mine yesterday, thansk to LionIndex. Bastard.
Saying that like its a bad thing!
Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Greenwood The Sock Monkey »

miss carol wrote: And Greenwood, when/if the Oilers grab up Lord Stan, keep away from the spontaneous bonfires, dude. Remember: you ain't a Leaf fan so don't act like one!
Duly noted. I figure I'll leave the post-game riots up to those who perfected the art of post-game hockey hooliganism. By which I mean, of course, those who follow the Montreal Canadiens. Now THOSE hooligans know how to riot.

Put another way...
Edmonton:Montreal as Green Day:The Clash
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

Greenwood The Sock Monkey wrote:
Duly noted. I figure I'll leave the post-game riots up to those who perfected the art of post-game hockey hooliganism. By which I mean, of course, those who follow the Montreal Canadiens. Now THOSE hooligans know how to riot.

Put another way...
Edmonton:Montreal as Green Day:The Clash
You have a good point. I was actually thinking of Vancouver. Both of which have more in common with the Leafs than the Oilers: none saw the finals.

Indeed, I worry about all those father buying their kids Leafs shirts: its a choking hazard! WAhahahahah!

Go England Go.
LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by LionIndex »

miss carol wrote:Yeah, well I had friggen Bay City Rollers spinning through mine yesterday, thansk to LionIndex. Bastard.
Lucky for me I don't know the BCR song, but I infected myself with The Hustle all day, so I didn't totally get off scott-free. My apologies.