Words of wisdom from Neko Case

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Words of wisdom from Neko Case

Post by steve-o » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:58 am

I'm sure plenty of you have seen this, but I missed this Pitchfork interview with Neko Case when it came out a couple of months ago, and it's worth sharing:
Case: When I think about Jackie Wilson or the Platters and then I think about modern, Top 40 music that's really horrible, it makes me mad. Singing isn't important anymore. I'm not a genius-- if I had been around during the time of Jackie Wilson or Rosemary Clooney or Patsy Cline, I would be shit. I would be singing in some bar somewhere for $5 a week and that's as far as I would ever go. But I'm living now and I write songs, it's different. ... There's technology like auto tune and pitch shifting so you don't have to know how to sing. That shit sounds like shit! It's like that taste in diet soda, I can taste it-- and it makes me sick.
And if Celine Dion is supposedly the great singer that she says she is why is there auto tune on every fucking word in her songs? Can't you just hit it, Celine? Do you have another baby book to shoot? You gotta paint your baby to look like a pot of peas? What are you doing that you can't be singing in the studio? It's your fucking job!
More.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:11 pm

Amen, Neko! This is one (of a zillion) reason(s) that "Stratford-On-Guy" will always be an infinitely better song than "Why Can't I?"

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:14 pm

Oh Neko - you're as smart as you are pretty. Sigh...

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:58 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Amen, Neko! This is one (of a zillion) reason(s) that "Stratford-On-Guy" will always be an infinitely better song than "Why Can't I?"
i can't agrue with you there. you are right. i listened to the liz phair cd over the weekend though and found that it still has a lot to offer. i don't think why can't i is terrible, but i don't think it comes close to her earlier stuff. i'm not huge on stratford either, but damn is liz not great on big tall man or shatter. even now, with all the changing she's done, at least she still isn't as bad as ashlee simpson. on topic, i've never heard neko case, but she gets my respect. i think she's dead on in what she said. i call it music in a can and it's really bad now.

beginthebegin
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by beginthebegin » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:58 pm

Perhaps this has been discussed elsewhere, but does the GloNo-populace carrry any love for Neko's newest, Fox Confessor Brings the Flood?

It's currently my personal favorite for record of the year.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:08 pm

beginthebegin wrote:Perhaps this has been discussed elsewhere, but does the GloNo-populace carrry any love for Neko's newest, Fox Confessor Brings the Flood?

I juts listened to that last night and it is one of my current faves too.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:51 pm

beginthebegin wrote:Perhaps this has been discussed elsewhere, but does the GloNo-populace carrry any love for Neko's newest, Fox Confessor Brings the Flood?
I love it. "Hold On" is such a killer song. The whole album is a nice piece of work; great poetic lyrics, great moods, & her voice.

How does it compare to her other records? This is (sort of) my maiden Neko voyage.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:08 pm

Barabajagal wrote: How does it compare to her other records? This is (sort of) my maiden Neko voyage.
I own Blacklisted, and while the new one is better, you won't be disappointed if you pick that one up.

Fox Confessor is probably my #1 record of 2006, pending something even more amazing coming out. Everything from that guitar in "Teenage Feeling" to the harmonies in "Hold On," there's just so much great instrumentation to it. And she's right about modern production losing all the "dynamics", and it shows on this album. That hiss you hear from the massive amounts of reverb on her voice? Any other producer would have cut that out as just extra noise, but it sounds so good as it is.

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by LionIndex » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:38 pm

"Star Witness" is on a permanent tape loop in my head, which is perfectly fine with me.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Post by hebrew hammer » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:44 pm

I got it for my padre on father's day, so I'll have to "borrow" it.