More punk Supernova vs. Rock Star Supernova

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

grounded5am wrote:they were one of 3 artists signed to arista's arista austin label. the other two were abra moore and robert earl keen. at least those were the only ones i knew of. sister came out at the same time abra moore did back in the summer of 1997.
You totally work in the music industry, don't you? You're totally a publicist! Nobody else would know that kind of trivial shit about such unimportant, uninspired, irrelevant hooey. Just admit it, and I'll never bug you again about it... Arista Austin? Come ON!
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

actually, i know this stuff because i know it. i am a wealth of useless pop culture/music triva. it's really sad. of coruse one of the reasons i know about arista austin is that i shamelessly followed and still follow abra moore's career starting back when she was on arista austin. i know more about her than one probably should. then again i know more about a lot of artists than i should. it's very sad, except when playing triva games.
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

You crack me up.
Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sven Killer Robot Spacema »

"The Now Defunct" is a good band name. I used to be in the "The Now Defunct" but now I'm a manager at Circuit City and Tommy Lee offered me 300 grand. I took it,paid cash for a house and tucked some away so my kid could be a programmer and not be in a band for a living.
DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy »

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:"The Now Defunct" is a good band name. I used to be in the "The Now Defunct" but now I'm a manager at Circuit City and Tommy Lee offered me 300 grand. I took it,paid cash for a house and tucked some away so my kid could be a programmer and not be in a band for a living.
You crack me up, Sven. At least "The Now Defunct" wasn't already in use.

How about Tommy Lee and the Trouser Snakes? Or the Shannon Hoon Memorial Orchestra? The Shameless Shills!!!! The Buncha Hacks. I think that last one is a fine name; at the very least, you're achieving truth in advertising.
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

Jake wrote:You crack me up.
i'm a sad little individual with a sad little life.
jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 »

Jake wrote: You totally work in the music industry, don't you? You're totally a publicist! Nobody else would know that kind of trivial shit about such unimportant, uninspired, irrelevant hooey. Just admit it, and I'll never bug you again about it... Arista Austin? Come ON!
The bold-face is my own so that I can say, Robert Earl Keen is not "unimportant, uninspired, irrelevant hooey." He's a great songwriter. His debut "No Kinda Dancer" is really good. Check it out. Also, college roommate of Lyle Lovett. I believe they wrote "The Front Porch Song" together.
trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by trainwreck2 »

REK is big shit...a singer songwriter that both alt country folks, rednecks, and "greeks" all dig, like willie in the 70s...
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

Variety: 'Rock Star' out of sync with band
The request is a follow-up to a suit Supernova filed in late June in U.S. District Court, accusing CBS, Burnett Prods. and "Rock Star: Supernova" stars Tommy Lee, Gilby Clarke and Jason Newsted of copyright infringement. "Rock Star: Supernova" focuses on a talent competish to find a lead singer for the group formed by Lee, Clarke and Newsted -- who have named it Supernova.

According to the complaint, members of Supernova have been in negotiations with Burnett and CBS since the suit was filed in June but haven't come to a resolution. Group is now seeking a hearing within the next 28 days, noting that "Rock Star: Supernova" will air through September.

"Our client has taken legal action in order to preserve the matter quickly and fairly, but after lengthy negotiations with CBS, Mark Burnett Prods. and others, they left us with no options but to seek the preliminary injunction," said attorney John Mizhir, who's repping the O.C. Supernova (made up of Jodey Lawrence, Art Mitchell and David Collins).
DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy »

I'd love to see the injunction happen, if only to see this crappy tv show yanked off the air. AND, of course, to see the real band Supernova foil CBS and Burnett in their misguided mission of foisting horrible entertainment on an all-too-willing public. Sometimes you gotta root for the fly in the ointment...