I'm actually starting to like/respect Ryan Adams

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:58 pm

Greenwood The Sock Monkey wrote:
So I guess what I'm trying to say is that Ryan should just let it go.
I dunno. I think there's something to be said for carrying a grudge against someone who is critical of your work on the internet or in the press. If you refuse to let it go and you continue to taunt those who have been critical of you, deserved or not, you can make them think about you like. "There's something really wrong with this person. Why can't they let it go?" Everyone around the artist is saying, "You're better than that. Just let it go." But then NOT letting it go becomes art in and of itself.
It can be intensified if the artist goes on to a critical or commercial success the next time around but still won't let go of this feud.
Women are saying, "Enjoy your success!" Because they are the peacemakers of mankind. But No! it's more thrilling to flame the heat of conflict with my detractors. I can understand where Ryan is coming from here. Fuck "Let it go!" The critic started it. If he can't stand dealing with a creative person who has demons along with the artistic side he's been blessed with than that person should sell insurance not be a rock critic.

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:52 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:I dunno. I think there's something to be said for carrying a grudge against someone who is critical of your work on the internet or in the press.
Hey, if negative reviews are all it takes to make Ryan Adams try harder next time, then I'll write some tonight!

I see what you mean, in the context that constructive criticism can be used as a driver to create something better the next time. And it is important to defend the work you believe in. But where does it end? If the next Ryan Adams record gets nine positive reviews and one negative review, does he go back into the studio to record something mind-blowing to shove up the one detractor's ass? What if he says "Fukkit, I'm going to do a 75-minute hip-hop rock opera" to answer the criticism that he's too one-dimensional?

I just don't want to see him or any other artist try to write things expressly for answering the critics. At some point you just have to do what you do, and other people will think what they think.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:03 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote: But No! it's more thrilling to flame the heat of conflict with my detractors. I can understand where Ryan is coming from here. Fuck "Let it go!" The critic started it. If he can't stand dealing with a creative person who has demons along with the artistic side he's been blessed with than that person should sell insurance not be a rock critic.
Lou Reed vs. Lester Bangs, anyone?