cd sound quality

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:21 pm

I think Dylan's on the money. Maybe, with all this clout, he has less control because the label execs have still more? Perhaps a smaller band with less clout has more hands-on control cause, well, it's their credit card or perhaps their studio. I may be WAY off base here, of course.

As for classical and jazz, I suspect the reason that their dynamic range is greater and not stereo-friendly is because they are meant to be experienced live; that's the tradition. An old tradition, one perhaps that has been surpased by technology, but it always amazes me how purist classical fans are. It's good in some ways (preservationist) and bad in others (fan-base dying out).

Ok. As you were. I love this kind of chatter.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:42 pm

miss carol wrote:I think Dylan's on the money. Maybe, with all this clout, he has less control because the label execs have still more?
Wilco put out A Ghost Is Born mastered very quietly with shitloads of dynamics. Too bad it's not a very good album.

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:54 am

Jake wrote: Wilco put out A Ghost Is Born mastered very quietly with shitloads of dynamics. Too bad it's not a very good album.
At least that's what you said.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by thinsafetypin » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:50 am

okay, so i may be digging myself into a hole here, but i would proffer the following theory:

music lovers : audiophiles

as

great bands : technically great musicians

the two can, occasionally, overlap, but they are not as married to each other as folks might think on the outset. once a person starts caring so much about the technical end of things, often they miss a bit of the magic that drew them to the music in the first place. that's why you have 25 bozos that frequent every guitar shop in the world who can play their instruments really, really well, but have never been (and will never be) in any worthwhile band, because they spend all their time listening to dream theater, joe satriani, yngwie malmsteen and other such guitar wankers who may be technically great, but you wouldn't catch a non-player listening to them for more than a couple minutes, because the stuff just isn't good music. similarly, you can get so wrapped up in the waveforms and nuance of sound that you miss the real joy of listening to great music. i do own and frequently use a record player, but i also own and frequently use an ipod that plays (gasp!) 128kbps aac files (among other things, of course). the point of all this is to say, the audiophiles can have their debates about compression... i'm going to go listen to an album john darnielle recorded on a tape deck now because it makes me feel something.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by creepy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:29 am

word...

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:30 am

exactly.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:44 am

thinsafetypin wrote:okay, so i may be digging myself into a hole here, but i would proffer the following theory:

music lovers : audiophiles

as

great bands : technically great musicians

the two can, occasionally, overlap, but they are not as married to each other as folks might think on the outset. once a person starts caring so much about the technical end of things, often they miss a bit of the magic that drew them to the music in the first place. that's why you have 25 bozos that frequent every guitar shop in the world who can play their instruments really, really well, but have never been (and will never be) in any worthwhile band, because they spend all their time listening to dream theater, joe satriani, yngwie malmsteen and other such guitar wankers who may be technically great, but you wouldn't catch a non-player listening to them for more than a couple minutes, because the stuff just isn't good music. similarly, you can get so wrapped up in the waveforms and nuance of sound that you miss the real joy of listening to great music. i do own and frequently use a record player, but i also own and frequently use an ipod that plays (gasp!) 128kbps aac files (among other things, of course). the point of all this is to say, the audiophiles can have their debates about compression... i'm going to go listen to an album john darnielle recorded on a tape deck now because it makes me feel something.
Sure, but the inverse is also true. Adiophiles can be/often are music fans as well. The MUSIC on Neil Young's mid-70s album is amazing, even moreso on the original vinyl. Sure, the CDs of those albums still contain the magic, just a duller version. I'll listen to my vinyl release of Tonight's the Night on scratchy record anytime, but if an iPod is all I have handy...

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:44 am

And I think Dylan is that way too. I don't think he's really all that interested in pursuing sound, technically. Just a sort of "I'll know it when I hear it" guy.

I imagine every musician and producer he works with would bend over backwards to get him his thin wild mercury sound. So I'm not quite sure what all he's griping about because his records have always sounded pretty cool to me.

Whoops, cross-posted with D. Phillips. Neil Young has always been extremely interested in sound.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Re: cd sound quality

Post by n8 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:28 pm

grounded5am wrote:bob dylan recently went on the attack against cd's and how music sounds awful today.

Bob Dylan says the quality of modern recordings is "atrocious," and even the songs on his new album sounded much better in the studio than on disc.

"I don't know anybody who's made a record that sounds decent in the past 20 years, really," the 65-year-old rocker said in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine.

Dylan, who released eight studio albums in the past two decades, returns with his first recording in five years, "Modern Times," next Tuesday.

Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway."

"You listen to these modern records, they're atrocious, they have sound all over them," he added. "There's no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like ... static."

Dylan said he does his best to fight technology, but it's a losing battle.

"Even these songs probably sounded ten times better in the studio when we recorded 'em. CDs are small. There's no stature to it."
where'd that article excerpt come from? because some of those Dylan quotes were lifted DIRECTLY from the current feature in Rolling Stone. Lazy bastards.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:44 pm

They came from Rolling Stone. Grounded is lax in citing sources.