Maybe America has taste after all? Paris Hilton album tanks

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:11 pm

steve-o wrote:What's so frustrating about STE's review, is that he outlines all these reasons why it's total crap, but still concludes by saying it's a good record.
He clearly outlines why he thinks it's good: the production and the songwriting. "They come up with a sound that's casually modern and retro with enough heft in its rhythms to sound good at clubs, yet it's designed to be heard outdoors on the sunniest day of the summer. This is exceedingly light music, as sweet and bubbly as a wine spritzer, yet it isn't so frothy that it floats away." And "her voice [...] may blend into the production, yet that actually helps the recordings since it emphasizes the melodies above everything else. And there are some irresistible melodies here..."

I'm not saying I agree with him. Just saying that his review gives a very clear picture of what this album is all about and how it sounds. He balances plenty of negatives with the positives. I haven't heard the album (except the single) and I'm pretty sure from reading his review that I know exactly how it sounds. And, more importantly, whether or not I'd like it. Which, when you think about it, is why you'd read a review. Star designations are meaningless and insipid. Ignore the "rating" and read the words. They actually give you a lot of useful information.

But he's still a tool.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:29 am

Jake wrote: Stephen Thomas Erlewine is a tool.
Why do you say that? I've considered a lot of his reviews to hold merit and generally agree with his assessments. Paris Hilton record notwithstanding, which is deserving of public ridicule regardless of what Erlewine says about it.
And the rating systems; I love 'em. They're impossibly frustrating and extremely unreliable (see Hilton and Dylan) but they draw me in to the review.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by creepy » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:23 am

thought this was pretty cool...
http://www.nme.com/news/gnarls-barkley/24222
would love to hear it...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:43 am

Week 3: 16,917
Cume: 120,338

Via Lefsetz.