Post-War

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post-War

Post by Tom4 »

Today, do a good thing for a great musician: buy M. Ward's new album, Post-War, and put some money in his pocket. It's quite good, and Ward is one of the nicest guys I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

If you want to hear the album first, it's streaming at Merge's website.

Jim James, Neko Case, Rachel Blumberg guest, and he covers "To Go Home" by Daniel Johnston. Good stuff.
stickman45
Cocksmith

Post by stickman45 »

Cool. Thanks, Tom.

The next M Ward shit I don't like will be the first.

Great live, too.
cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by cat153 »

I'll vouch for the new album too. Very good...and a lot more varied stylistically in my opinion. I haven't bought the album per se...got it off of emusic. if i get extra funds after this September's release on-slaught, i'll buy the cd too.
stickman45
Cocksmith

Post by stickman45 »

I listened to the album.

Really good, as usual.

He'll get more of my money.
Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 »

Yeah, I don't know exactly what it is, but he finds a way to constantly change and yet stay the same. I don't think any of his albums are real great departures from the rest, but they've all got a different niche.

And I like the fact that he followed his most minimalist album with a full-band effort. I LOVE "Rollercoast" and "Chinese Translation."
skyflynn
GLONO Board Playa

Post by skyflynn »

WOW! I'm in the process of my first listen and it sounds even sweeter than I thought it would. The guy already makes great records and he seems to be getting even better at it.
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

This is the first of M. Ward's that I've bought. I quite like it and trying to figure out why Soundscapes put it in their Americana section. Nevertheless, I found it, am spinning it, and will buy more of his back catalogue. Thanks for the recommendation, Tom4!
cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by cat153 »

RE: back catalog. i would recommend going in reverse chronilogical going first with transistor radio, then transfiguration of vincent and so on...
worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede »

miss carol wrote:This is the first of M. Ward's that I've bought. I quite like it and trying to figure out why Soundscapes put it in their Americana section. Nevertheless, I found it, am spinning it, and will buy more of his back catalogue. Thanks for the recommendation, Tom4!
Ditto. Real. Fucking. Good.
Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 »

cat153 wrote:RE: back catalog. i would recommend going in reverse chronilogical going first with transistor radio, then transfiguration of vincent and so on...
I agree. I think Transistor Radio is his best (besides Post-War, not judging for another few months). It's simple, but it's surprisingly durable. I've had the pleasure of seeing Ward twice, he's really incredible live. You don't realize how great of a guitar player he is until you see him finger-picking all of his songs. Plus he did a double-encore once. That kicked a lot of ass.