Never played

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by thinsafetypin » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:28 pm

Alright, I'm taking the challenge. Although I know this isn't correct, currently iTunes has my never played list at a whopping 7945 items out of 11324 total (70%) I set up the list and set my party shuffle to choose from that playlist. Hacking away as we speak!

song #4 on the list is by Riviera.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:34 pm

Beware, if you have an obsessive personality, it can kind of take over the way you listen to music... Not entirely for the better, I might add. But I have come across some great stuff that I otherwise might not have heard for god knows how long... Such as "Flying Purple People Eater" by Sheb Wooley -- fantastic song! "I wanna be a singer in a rock and roll band. Bless my soul!"

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:37 pm

I lost all my play counts and, thus, my never played list is huge (albeit deceiving). I'll get around to hearing everything, although I'm adding music at a massive daily rate.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:54 pm

Tom4 wrote:I lost all my play counts
How? That's my big fear at this point...

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:41 pm

Jake wrote: How? That's my big fear at this point...
It was sort of optional, honestly. I wanted to add album artwork to all the albums on my iPod that didn't have them already. But I haven't found a way to actually edit the artwork of files already on your iPod, for some reason I had to add the artwork to the files in iTunes and then upload them onto the iPod again. Long story short, I erased everything from my iPod and re-added everything from iTunes with the fresh artwork. It thus imported all of the playcounts from my iTunes library, which is low as I rarely listen to music from my computer.

There might have been a way to circumsect losing the play counts by adding the artwork straight to iPod or synching my library to my iPod's playcounts so they were more accurate to begin with, but I'm not Mac-savvy enough yet to have figured out a way.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:21 pm

Your iTunes doesn't sync with your iPod automatically? What a pain.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:55 pm

Jake wrote:Your iTunes doesn't sync with your iPod automatically? What a pain.
Yeah well it's all moot now, as I just (as in, 60 minutes ago) dropped my iPod on the hard floor at work and have thus butchered it. Now it makes a grinding sound and a sad face before spitting bile all over my face.

Luckily I still have my dinosaur 40gb, I'll use that until it dies or Apple releases a new gen iPod, whichever comes first.

Edit: Speaking of, anyone know of when the 6th generation, is supposed to be out? Everything I've found online is all speculation.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by amighty » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:25 am

Tom4 wrote: Edit: Speaking of, anyone know of when the 6th generation, is supposed to be out? Everything I've found online is all speculation.
I think they're coming out with some kind of phone-thingy this summer.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by thinsafetypin » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:26 pm

update: i'm down to 7586 never played out of a now total 11314 or 67%. so far, i've actually really enjoyed playing through the shuffle of my never played list, although i can see a couple potential problems already arising, the first being as jake mentioned, my obsessive side is taking over and i'm rarely listening to my favorite things, but also my landlord at work is just a thin wall away, and i'm not sure he appreciates things like GN'R, rancid and ted leo blasting through the walls, but i have a hard time skipping them over since it'll whittle down the list! one good thing about it has been that it has forced me to face up to the fact that i just don't like some of the things in my library, so i'm clearing them out, little by little and freeing up some hard drive/ipod space in the process. a few years back, i got roped into joining with some friends to purchase the complete u2 through the itunes store (every official release u2 ever put out, including fan club-only releases and a rarities comp released specifically for the package) and i had already weeded out some of the things (dance mixes, live performances) but i can tell this exercise is going to thin out my u2 library much more. so many of their songs come up on here that i'm just not into. (i know u2 isn't well liked around here at all, but i still love the joshua tree -> zooropa era quite a bit.)

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:35 pm

thinsafetypin wrote:one good thing about it has been that it has forced me to face up to the fact that i just don't like some of the things in my library, so i'm clearing them out, little by little and freeing up some hard drive/ipod space in the process.
Yeah, I'm finding the same thing. I wound up buckling and buying an 80gb a few days ago (the aforementioned dinosaur 40gb was having battery issues). Now I'm going through Shuffle, but I too am finding things I don't like. I bought the 18-disc Stax Singles Collection recently, and as much as I love Stax's overall contributions, I can get rid of about five or six discs worth of work.

Sometimes I get into fits of downloading/purchasing that I put five or six albums on my iPod a day, and now I'm finding that I could have done without a lot of that.