5 Best American Rock Bands

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:53 pm

Jake wrote: Yeah, there is some great, great Beach Boys stuff. Their hits are awesome if you can figure out how to hear them with fresh ears -- try focusing on the drums. And then the Brother Records-era stuff is a mixed bag, but there are tons of gems. Look into the Sunflower/Surf's Up twofer. There are many fine, fine moments on there. And if you like weird shit, look no further than Beach Boys Love You, a total spaced-out loonie fest with songs about Johnny Carson and the solar system. It's got this super phat synth bass throughout that will blow your mind. Or you'll just think it's stupid. I go back and forth.
I just finished reading the Jim Fusilli's 331/3 book on Pet Sounds and now I'm interested in the earlier material. What struck me the most, though, was the impact that Pet Sounds had on Lennon, McCartney, and Keith Moon, of all people. I also own some girl group stuff Brian Wilson produced. All great.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:21 am

miss carol wrote:
I just finished reading the Jim Fusilli's 331/3 book on Pet Sounds and now I'm interested in the earlier material. What struck me the most, though, was the impact that Pet Sounds had on Lennon, McCartney, and Keith Moon, of all people. I also own some girl group stuff Brian Wilson produced. All great.
Moon loved all things Surf and really wanted the Who to go that direction, which is hilarious if you think about it--four pasty, dopey, speed-ridden Brits from Shepherd's Bush singing about surfing and cars. I love it.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:36 am

D. Phillips wrote:
Moon loved all things Surf and really wanted the Who to go that direction, which is hilarious if you think about it--four pasty, dopey, speed-ridden Brits from Shepherd's Bush singing about surfing and cars. I love it.
Really? Hmm. Who knew? (Note to to self: read more about the Who) As for surfing limeys,

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by thinsafetypin » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:44 am

from what i understand, brian wilson never once tried to surf until a TV special during his short-lived return to the beach boys, which apparently was pretty difficult to watch. in some way, that makes me like their surf-themed songs more, that they were more of a california dream and not just beach bums who couldn't think of anything else to sing about.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:12 pm

Jake wrote:I love love love predictions about what people think will "hold up" because then we can go back three years later and make fun of them/ourselves.
For example, look at NME's list from four years ago (today).

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:35 pm

Pet Sounds is my favorite album of all-time. "God Only Knows" is my favorite song. But that was all I listened to....

until I read Catch A Wave: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of Brian Wilson.

After that, I went back and listened to their other stuff comprehensively, and I get it now. The book puts it in context. Is some of it crap? Yeah, absolutely. But there's a lot in that other material that's great. I suggest reading the book if you think Pet Sounds was the only good thing Wilson's ever done. Actually, read it no matter what.

I still have to get that 33 1/3 on Pet Sounds. I've got the ones on Songs in the Key of Life, London Calling, and Loveless waiting to be ready.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by trainwreck2 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:03 pm

thinsafetypin wrote:from what i understand, brian wilson never once tried to surf

A surf rock man from the land of plenty
Surf rock mess with no surf but pine trees
Struck by being ashamed of your old space
Just wanting that mean heat
You bleached your hair
And you pawned your skis
And then you sold out for the
Shade of the palm tree scene
And said, "Of what a drag!
Oh what a backwards scheme,
Cuz here things go from grey
To grey and back to grey again
And they get green and go to grey
And back to grey again"
So he said," Head south!" [x12]
Struck by being ashamed of your old space
Just wanting that (meat?)
You bleached your hair
And you pawned your skis
And then you sold out for the
Shape of the palm tree scene
Surrounded, cut off jeans
And cut off jeans and cut off
Jeans are what you mean
When you say, "Head south!"-midest mouse

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:28 pm

How did I miss this fuckin' debate?

The Sonics
The Stooges
The Replacements
CCR (for hit-makin' mojo)
Centro-matic (Will Johnson corrals the Brits)

Man, I could come up with a really long list.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:20 pm

Since this thread has been revived, I'd like to change my answer to:

5. Funkadelic
4. Funkadelic
3. Funkadelic
2. Funkadelic
1. Funkadelic

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:25 pm

Calexico
Mr. T Experience
The Ramones
Velvet Underground
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Don't give me no shit about the solo artist thing. Tom Petty vs. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are two different things.... just barely, but still.)